Is anyone versed in PAL video shown in USA? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2012, 03:30 PM   #1
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Post Is anyone versed in PAL video shown in USA?

This is confusing and I think more of an issue 10 years ago.

Can PAL video be shown/played here in the USA, on professional BluRay players and new projector (with many formats) without some kind of color loss or flickering issue?

The flim may be sent on a disk/thumb drive OR it may be sent Quick Time and converted here in the USA (at a video production house).

e.g. of a Pro Player:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Professional/Pro-Video/BDP-V6000
Old 19th January 2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

In my experience it depends on the player and display device. Most of the modern stuff has no problem with different frame rates and will scale most common resolutions anyway.

Aside the region codes, I don't think you'll have a problem. Most of this stuff is made to be sold all over the world, so can handle anything.
Old 20th January 2012, 11:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Aakman.com

Thanks Pano,

Sometimes I get involved with "displays" and end up trying different players, moinitor or projectors; and the "films" do come from around the world.

This little box is the installers dream machine, just move videos files to a thumb drive and away she's goes. Just turn on the power and it will run for years, power goes out, it will reboot and start plaaying again once the power goes back on.

Akman Incorporated - Quality Audio & Video Products Since 1983
Old 21st January 2012, 03:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Very cool. Thanks for the link.
Old 21st January 2012, 05:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

It is based on scan rate. PAL and NTSC are not compatible however if the machine is able to convert the output to the display type then it can be viewed. The player output must match the display input or the display capable of both formats and the player must be compatible with the source material.

I am sure that there are professional version machines that can play both types but they are probably expensive too but professional machines don't have copyright blocking chips in them either like consumer grade ones do. Same goes for studio audio electronics. Professional grade machines allow you the ability to reproduce blocked materials.
Old 22nd January 2012, 10:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The pioneer is up there in cost; was anyway, looks like it was discontinued. The BDPV6000 and the Akman have similar outputs, just scroll through menu, 50hz and 60hz. To tell you truth, a lot of the time I didn’t see much of a difference (scrolling).

Some of the co-workers are worried about the word “conversion” i.e. they want an untainted image, which is mildly amusing because there are not that many options.

They have solid state line level voltage converter that will “do anything”, so I could convert 60hz to 50hz but then I would need all new PAL gear (which is not going to happen).

Thanks for helping me understand this.
Old 22nd January 2012, 10:13 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Most modern players and TVs are designed to be used all over the World.

Region Codes aside, just check the spec to see if it NTSC and PAL compatible.

If I recall correctly the difference between PAL 1 and PAL 2 is which side of the video signal the sound is located, this is only an issue for the TV radio stages.

SECAM is also very close to PAL.

NTSC came about because the Americans wanted colour TV before it was really practical to build good colour TVs.

I'm surprised that they have lived with it for so long before going digital.
Old 22nd January 2012, 11:42 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

They had digital sets back in the 70s, I remember a sales guy demonstrating one back then.

btw, The first USA OTA digital broadcast was 1996, in NC.

Probably most folks on here are wise to this, but alot of folks don't know to install a UFH antenna on the roof (or attic) and hook it to a "new" TV for a crystal clear, HD pic. I'm picking up 40+ OTA channels last time I looked (not all HD).
Old 22nd January 2012, 11:56 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODougbo View Post
btw, The first USA OTA digital broadcast was 1996, in NC.
I remember that. Channel 5 in Raleigh.

It's amazing how much things have changed since then. Back then we still had to deal with NTSC & PAL problems and getting them synched with oddball computer scan rates. Now it's mostly just different frame rates, but the new equipment seems to handle it all with ease. I work mainly with pro gear, but the consumer stuff has gotten much easier and more flexible, too.

There really has been progress!
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:41 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Remember Voom satellite? Lol.....that was a good system, their set top boxes were awesome, crystal clear pic and wonderful sound.

The sales pitch was "we provide local channels", the catch was you needed a outdoor atenna...Lol

I got into digital OTA when I had Voom, still have a couple of the Motorola set top boxes. Even modified a couple old atennas with hacksaw; cut the bottom away and use the top, UHF section(s).

Hide this!Advertise here!