Why are there only low power 2 channel amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
.....Thing is it's as Johnny2Bad says though.

Take a 50wpc amplifier, take a 100wpc amp and take a 200 wpc amp @ 8 ohm, each one has 3dB more capability over the previous. This is not a lot and hardly a sufficient increase for a system that is apparently lacking in its 'transient' capabilities.

Going from a 50wpc amplifier to a 500wpc amp will net you 10dB which is in the ball park for a transient kind of figure.........

Yes, I have often head this sort "argument" about this subject.

However, if one considers that going from 50w to 500w can only give you a 10db increase, it just seves to illustrate how important a high wattage amp can be.

Like I said, loud transients can really "eat up" at lot of watts in an instant! :)

Also, one must take into cosideration that at avereage listening levels, an amp would be only be required to deliver a small fraction of that 100w, so there will be some headroom.

Last edited:
It seems that high power, over 300w sub amps are commom.
However, finding a 2 channel stereo amp over 50w PC is difficult.

I understand that lows can draw more watts but, so can other freqs, paticularly in transients.

Have the manufactures and general public now become so centered on bass that they no longer care about the rest of the spectrum and dynamic range, etc?
High power integrateds have always been fairly rare, as there is simply little demand for them.

High power amps are easy to get, but then you'll need a pre. As this is a DIY forum, you'll find plenty of designs, but a pre is little more than a selector and VC, maybe with a buffer. Easy and cheap to build.

seriously, if your any good with a soldering iron and know how not to kill your self with mains, those cheap class d modules from ebay and a basic power supply = about 80wpc of 20-20k very usable amplification. clean and simple.

I bought the module $29 australian, and a center tapped transformer for $25. I have an amp that seems to do the job easily. -

i even made a vid TDA8920BTH based CLASS D amplifier module - YouTube about it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.