Are you really interested in 'Hi-Fi'? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Default Are you really interested in 'Hi-Fi'?

So yes I know everyone in here is more interested in the DIY part but that's not my point!

I mean are you interested in true high fidelity? As in producing equipment that recreates the signal/recording exactly as the original no characteristics from the equipment in the sound?

The reason I ask is because of the complexity of some of the designs here when it can all be done with newer, lower distortion, simpler, smaller and for lower cost. I say this on the basis of the (IMO) fantastic 'Wire power amp', with such low distortion levels and high power why use anything else? Why do we keep using old technology? Why not look into refining class D?

I won't even get into tubes as that isn't high fidelity. But if we have two theoretical complete systems that have 0% distortion they MUST sound the same yes? Anything that deviates from the original signal is distortion so there is 0 deviation so sound the same. Amplifiers aren't going to hit that for a long time anyway! But if we have very low distortion amps why should they sound different even if they have completely different topologies? They shouldn't even if different order harmonics are emitted. At levels such as 0.001% I would go to say it's impossible for the human to hear any differences.

This is why I have focussed more on my loudspeaker research and design as there's far more to play with in my opinion as in they still have a lot further to go in terms of room for improvement compared to amps.

Personally I have been thinking and decided I want both true high fidelity with designs only proved by numbers not inaccurate, skewed subjective views and opinions. I also want that relaxing not so intensive tube stereo system with large drivers and boomy bass!

So what's your opinion? What are you looking for in your amp? The best that sounds to you or hi-fi?

Thanks
Boscoe
__________________
I thought about it once, but then thought again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:18 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
SY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post

I won't even get into tubes as that isn't high fidelity.
Because...?
__________________
You might be screaming "No, no, no" and all they hear is "Who wants cake?" Let me tell you something: They all do. They all want cake.- Wilford Brimley
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Because...?
Distortion, high damping factor, low power, transformers are involved in the signal line, frequency response.

I don't care what you say tubes are not high fidelity.
__________________
I thought about it once, but then thought again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
vinylkid58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Oh boy, I can see where this is going to go already.

jeff
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Oh boy, I can see where this is going to go already.

jeff
If your talking about tubes and hifi I don't want it to go there, lets ignore to tubes from now on!?
__________________
I thought about it once, but then thought again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:25 PM   #6
grufti is offline grufti  United States
wombat
diyAudio Member
 
grufti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hillside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post

Distortion, high damping factor, low power, transformers are involved in the signal line, frequency response

Hmmh ...? On another planet, maybe?
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grufti View Post
Hmmh ...? On another planet, maybe?
Please tell me otherwise?
__________________
I thought about it once, but then thought again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:27 PM   #8
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
 
dhaen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: U.K.
Reminds me of that Pointless Argument thread yesterday...
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:28 PM   #9
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
SY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaen View Post
Reminds me of that Pointless Argument thread yesterday...

What's your point?
__________________
You might be screaming "No, no, no" and all they hear is "Who wants cake?" Let me tell you something: They all do. They all want cake.- Wilford Brimley
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:28 PM   #10
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaen View Post
Reminds me of that Pointless Argument thread yesterday...
This doesn't have to be a pointless argument it's what the poster makes of it. Can't people see past things and have a good discussion for once?
__________________
I thought about it once, but then thought again.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody interested? Colescuttle Swap Meet 0 11th February 2007 05:31 PM
Interested ??? P901 Multi-Way 1 3rd December 2003 03:37 AM
anybody interested in: Thomas Giz Swap Meet 0 25th October 2003 10:42 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:43 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2