Best sofware for making a copy of a CD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone ever subjectively compared the sound of different cd's ripped with different software?

Exact Audio Copy seems a lot better than say Windac.

CD's that EAC reports errors for, are just ripped seemingly without any problem by Windac. So my guess is that EAC is better than WinDac.

I will report on listening test in a few weeks time..But was wondering if anyone has done some subjective/objective tests.

Cheers,
Bas

Nero works well for normal stuff.

I have always used Nero, but the audio extraction used to suck (early versions of Nero..3.x.x.x. ) so I gave it up very early. Now I just use Nero for burning. And EAC for ripping the WAV tracks.

On my system I could never really hear a difference..till I tried listening on Hans Kortenbach's system. With Phy speakers... Ripped with WinDac and burned with Nero..I absolutely sucked big time...sounding like a little transistor radio..no soundstage at all..flabby bass...

Cheers,
Bas

EAC have a better ripping engine. What it do when you select the right option is that he re-read multiple time the same section to be sure to have the same value to ensure no error during the ripping. It slower but you have a better chance to get a perfect wav files this way. That why I'm using only EAC to rip and even encore my CD in Flac/OGG/MP3.

Francois

Hi!

Or you can use CDex to extract the tracks one by one, with paranoia mode turned on (Under Settings->CD-ROM->Ripping Method, turn on Paranoia - Full).

CDParanoia is a Linux-library for digital audio extraction, it does nearly the same as EAC, but is a bit faster (still, Full Paranoia is about 1/3 - 1/2 as fast as ripping without Paranoia turned on at all). There is no official port of this library to Win32, so the people of CDex seem to have proted the needed functions by themselve...

Since I also use CDex for making mp3 and Ogg Vorbis files, I use it for normal ripping, as well...

Bye,

Arndt

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I have always used Nero, but the audio extraction used to suck (early versions of Nero..3.x.x.x. ) so I gave it up very early. Now I just use Nero for burning. And EAC for ripping the WAV tracks.

I've never understood why this proggy got such rave reviews; it's not intuitive to use at all and it's INCD UDF part invariably crashes Windows 2000 machines whenever CDRW media is changed.

Thank God, W2K is a pretty robust OS...

As far as copying goes, I'm a little surprised nobody mentioned the importance of good media.

I usually opt for Maxell CDs for audio and use either CloneCD or the excellent Plextor software; you need a Plextor drive for the latter.

Make sure to use the best sounding output on your soundcard as well as differences aren't exactly subtle.

Cheers,;)

Hey guys

I am currently using Audio-Cds in my stereo ( it has a built in burner ). You cannot tell the difference between the original and the copy. Also, if I burn them on my computer, I just drag the contents of the original cd into the burner drive.

----------------
jake
----------------

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.