diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   solar maximum (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/203418-solar-maximum.html)

scott17 30th December 2011 01:36 AM

solar maximum

With the upcoming solar maximum looming before us it is even more reason to build a vacuum tube amplifier for music reproduction. Vacuum tubes being impervious to EMP, as opposed to semiconductor junctions, would continue to function.

Of course unless you live in a Faraday cage, you will also need a source for your music. Ah ha! Vinyl records! But with the power grid down you will need a power source for all of this.

You are going to need lots of batteries, a recharging source such as wind or water generator, solar panels, etc., and a vacuum tube power inverter.

Nevermind....

Enzo 30th December 2011 09:05 AM

And when the entire world power grid collapses, then civilzation will collapse right after it. You will need a large supply of food and weapons to defend yourself. Plus the food wil eventually run out, so you will also need a large defendable plot of land to grow food and raise animals. Inbreeding could become an issue if you are limited to your own family, so you will need to include other individuals to breed a replacement society.

Oh, and stiffening caps for the car stereo.

It is going to be a lot of work.

toprepairman 30th December 2011 09:12 AM

A happy note to start the day with.......

littlerick 30th December 2011 10:04 AM

Damn... hope i get my amps finished before this happens.... Bit of AC/DC as the world gets sucked into a black hole seems the only way to go... MMmmm or maybe 170mph on the Ninja will do if i dont get amp done :P

SY 30th December 2011 11:24 AM

Yeah, but the skip will be awesome.

rok-n-rol 30th December 2011 01:15 PM

I'm leaving my heirs with prime farm land, music and equipment to soothe the opposite sex and one alcohol still- ahh make that an essential oil extractor. Maps to the greatest record collections known...:shhh::shhh:

firechief 31st January 2012 02:02 PM

EMP will not kill all solid state. Equipment that is shielded will be fine. If its in a cave, on a submarine, or in a screen room, it has a good chance of surviving. For that matter any serious ssurvivoialist should be burying there CB radio in the ground. (Best place for it anyway).:)

toprepairman 1st February 2012 07:50 AM

Most people do have a Faraday cage, it's called a car.
Stick all the sensitive kit in there and it should survive.

Wavebourn 1st February 2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toprepairman (Post 2886719)
Most people do have a Faraday cage, it's called a car.
Stick all the sensitive kit in there and it should survive.

Cellphone works in a car, radar detector works on passenger seat, IRFD toll passing device works in a glove box. And car itself can't run without computer. :D

DF96 1st February 2012 05:02 PM

A car looks like a Faraday cage to LF and VLF. Microwaves, no.