Installing a DC PS jack in Cmoy amp...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ordered a Cmoy amp mainly to use to boost the output of my MP3 player when used with my home sys.
It's just a basic one with a single 9v battery.

However, I'm not one to leave well enought alone and if it works as expected, I was thinking about installing a DC jack for a 9v DC PS ;)

So, if I install a "closed circuit" DC jack, would this be a good way to wire it as in my crude pic? I understand that 1&2 are shorted with no adaptor plugged in and the circuit is broken when the adaptor is plugged in disconnecting the battery. Is it OK to wire it like this with the Cmoy's V ground?

I realize that I should use a regulated PS but, is there anything else I should do? How about inserting something in line with it to prevent any voltage spikes from reaching the board?

Attachments

• cmdcpsx2.jpg
    cmdcpsx2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
OK ....... to be honest, if I install a DC jack, I might as well install a closed circuit one so I wont have to snap and unsnap connections.
I like the idea of just pluging in the DC PS without removing the battery.

However, it still may be an option.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I like your suggestion of the battery snap with a staight DC jack.
For one thing, the switch on a closed circuit DC jack can be somewhat delicate and prone to malfunction. Also, battery snaps are easy to replace if needed.

You may need to be selective when choosing the 9V adapter. Some are unregulated and will be several volts higher when lightly loaded. They'll also have plenty of ripple. I'd consider using a 3-terminal regulator and filter cap in the amp. Maybe a full-wave rectifier as well, since then you could use AC or DC wall-warts. Or just one rectifier in series; 1/2 wave rectification may be good enough, and it'll protect against reverse polarity.

Thanks......

I decided against using a DC PS. I thought I had a a suitable one packed away but, I don't

However, I have access to inexpensive AA batteries and 6xAA wiil be much cheaper than a single 9v and the 6xAA should last longer.
So, I ordered the jack, male plug, battery snap and a 6xAA battery box on Ebay (all from Chnia) for a grand total of about $5.
So I will be able to use a 9v or 6xAA, which ever is cheaper. The 9v batteries are usually just too expensive around here.

BTW,, the CMoy solved my problem, sounds great for the MP3s and it's getting a lot of use.

Last edited:
I installed the CD jack etc, including a battery snap. So, now I can use either a 9v or 6x AA batteries via a battery box.

One thing I discovered is that I had to completly insulate the female jack from the Altoids case. Is this normal with a CMoy amp due to its "V ground"?

Last edited:
I just realized that I installed the 6xAA battery pack to power my CMoy over a year ago and it's still has just about 9v on it .
This is using it for about 4-5 hours per week .

I often just put my MP3 player on random play while I'm doing other things at home .:)

Last edited:
WOW!
Today I had to finally replace the batteries. They lasted over a year and half with fairly frequent use.:)
I probably should have replaced them a bit sooner but, I had to see how long they would last.

The original 9v battery that I first used only lasted a couple of months.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.