diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   A real apology from Andrew T. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/203174-real-apology-andrew-t.html)

AndrewT 26th December 2011 03:32 PM

A real apology from Andrew T.

Hi to all.

I have been referring to a Forum Rule regarding the quoting of "whole posts".

I have done this more than a few times, and worse without checking the facts.

I apologise to all that I have offended with my comments.

There is no rule on quoting whole posts to be seen in the current http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/site-...dio-rules.html

Sorry.

DF96 26th December 2011 03:41 PM

Perhaps there should be such a rule? Some quotes include large pictures too.

poynton 26th December 2011 03:53 PM

That is especially true when the posts are repeatedly quoted (nested quotes)

If I need to quote most of a previous post, I break it down into points and answer each in turn.
I think this is acceptable?

jitter 27th December 2011 10:26 AM

My view on this is that it should remain possible to quote entire posts, but should be done only when necessary.
And instead of replying like this:

Quote:

l
o
n
g

q
u
o
t
e
l
o
n
g

a
n
s
w
e
r

I assume poynton means to break a quote down this way:
Quote:

first part of quote
answer relevant to first part
Quote:

second part of quote
answer relevant to second part
Quote:

last part of quote
and so on to the end.

If so, I agree.

What really gets in the way of readability are (too) large pictures exaggerated by quotes including these pics. Perhaps quotes should only include pictures if they're below a certain size and if the reply ends up on a different page of the thread than that of which the quote was taken from.

wintermute 27th December 2011 10:53 AM

There isn't any rule about it, but I do seem to recall a thread about the practice of quoting entire posts in the post immediately following (or shortly after), this is annoying and un-necessary.

If someone is replying to only a small portion of a previous post then it is often best to delete the rest of the unneeded material. A lot of members put a --- snip --- in when they do this to make it obvious. However it is important not to edit in such a way as to change the context and make it look like someone said something other than what they intended.

I find what jitter has suggested above to be one of the most useful ways of quoting if you wish to address multiple points in a post.

Tony.

godfrey 27th December 2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewT (Post 2834744)
There is no rule on quoting whole posts...

Well, keep up the good work anyway! I guess now you'll just have to say "please". :D

Tripmaster 27th December 2011 12:00 PM

'A real apology from Andrew T'

A sincere apology? ;)

regiregi22 27th December 2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poynton (Post 2834768)
That is especially true when the posts are repeatedly quoted (nested quotes)

In fact, this is an already addressed issue. More or less. Try to quote, for example jitter's post which already has quotes in it, and press "Preview post". The previous quotes are already removed.

I agree with jitter's opinion of splitting the different ideas in different quotes, each with each own answer. Something that, despite the attention, my brain sometimes refuses to do, so sorry for that. Specially if quoting a big post with 30 ideas and you are answering to just one :rolleyes:

godfrey 27th December 2011 12:33 PM

Selective quoting is normally good but sometimes you want to reply to an entire post in general, not just part of it. In that case, I often just address my comment to the person. e.g.:

@jitter: totally agree:)

poynton 27th December 2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jitter (Post 2835563)
.....................I assume poynton means to break a quote down this way:

answer relevant to first part

answer relevant to second part

and so on to the end.

If so, I agree......................

Exactly what I meant.

Thanks for the illustration.

Andy