A real apology from Andrew T. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2011, 04:57 PM   #11
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Over-quoting is my top forum pet-peeve. There was a thread on it, but few people seemed to care. Nice to see some more comments on it here. I've asked some prominent forum posters (via PM) not to do it. The answer was "I never do that" - only to see it again in the very next post!

As a Mod, I spend a lot of time removing the quotes of the entire previous post. A least it makes me feel like I'm doing something. Also spend a lot of time fixing bad quote tags.

I'd love to see the quote button moved to a less obvious place that would make it harder to just click "Quote" instead of "Reply". Might help a lot as it seems that many people just click Quote without thinking about it.
Old 28th December 2011, 07:41 AM   #12
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Now that I'm writing a reply to a relatively short post that will likely end up right below Pano's post, I don't feel the need to quote (part of) it. If it were longer, I would have done so and broken it down into parts, and that's why it should remain possible. After posting I will obviously have to look at the thread again to see if someone beat me to it and edit if necessary.

I'm not sure I agree with moderators removing quotes from other people's posts when there's no rule that forbids quoting entire posts... Perhaps an amendmend of the rules is needed first.

IMHO, the move of the quote button to a less obvious place will only help temporarily as its new place will be found and remembered, unless... there will always be more effort needed to use the quote button than the reply button.
Old 28th December 2011, 08:01 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

You can interchange the URL that are pointed to by Quote and Reply buttons
Old 28th December 2011, 08:33 AM   #14
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
The icon for a "Quick Reply" is already there just to the right of the "Quote" button but it is not obvious (no words)

Perhaps changing the "quote" button to a plain icon and the "reply" button to a "text button" would solve the problem. (is that what Regiregi22 meant ?)

But as Jitter says, there will always be those ...................

Andy

Last edited by poynton; 28th December 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 28th December 2011, 11:23 AM   #15
godfrey is online now godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poynton View Post
But as Jitter says, there will always be those ...................
Aaaaand, we have a winner!!! Here's Groove-T quoting his entire (immediately preceding) own post, without adding any further comment.

There should be a prize for that.
Old 28th December 2011, 11:25 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I have noticed something curious. If you look at the URL where the three bottom-right buttons are pointing, it is the same for both, so the action performed by those three buttons it's the same.

Is there a reason for this to be this way? Perhaps a coding bug?
Old 28th December 2011, 11:46 AM   #17
godfrey is online now godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

The buttons do perform different actions, so I guess there's JavaScript to handle the button clicks.
Old 28th December 2011, 11:52 AM   #18
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow and all along i thought you guys only cared about THD, improper star gnds, toobs vs SS and NFB, this is deep ..s
Old 28th December 2011, 12:01 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Frequently, I contemplate why folks start these useless and utterly boring threads ?
Sometimes, the answer seems all to obvious.

Fortunately, when the nagging about posted or linked image size, proper Anglo-English spelling, punctuation, or forum rules, once again totally peed me off, I seek refuge in reading and posting at audio fora originating from Brazil, Argentina, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Norway, Denmark, Russia, or Japan.
(not Dutch fora, those are stupendously annoying, and I've yet to read something of interest at a British forum)

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 28th December 2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 28th December 2011, 01:05 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I dislike it too when people quote ridiculous amounts, especially when it involves a large picture. I've also seen some people not even using quotes and simply copy/pasting the text from some previous posts and this makes it extremely difficult to actually read their replies.

I think there should be a set of guidelines on how to actually use quotes properly and then effectively.

Hide this!Advertise here!