Moderators - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2002, 04:44 AM   #1
subwo1 is offline subwo1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Moderators

Thanks to all the moderators for your selfless dedication in keeping the boards runnng smoothly. There are many who really enjoy these forums.
Old 22nd January 2002, 04:52 AM   #2
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

I agree...

Jason and Grey do a fantastic job.
Old 22nd January 2002, 05:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't know as I can say that I've been all that successful in moderating this evening (I rather feel like one of the graphite rods used to moderate nuclear reactors...after a near-meltdown), but thanks for the thanks.
As a related question, I'm going to put this up to a vote, or at least open the issue for discussion. At the moment the little tag line under my name still says Elder (although some seem to feel that it should say Grandfather). Now, a Certain Member seems not to have known that I was a Moderator (and, frankly, I don't think it would have mattered a toot to him either way). My feeling has always been that I'd rather be "one of the guys" so as to be able to drop in on threads without this heavy "Moderator" aura following me around. Here's my question:
Should I (or any other Moderators we might ever have) be labelled as such, or can I go on being Just Me?
Note that Jason is the Uber-Moderator, in possession of all passwords, permissions, and the keys to the kingdom. It's his site, and he's the one at whose feet the corpses will fall if there's a shootout in the street and the sheriff doesn't get there in time to stop it.
Me? I'm just the fella who diddles with Nelson's schematics whilst he's not looking...

Grey
Old 22nd January 2002, 05:24 AM   #4
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Thank you for your kind words. I agree with Grey that I do not feel that I have done a very good job to date. But, we learn from our mistakes.

Grey: On the <a href="http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/">main forum page</a> there is a space for moderators for each forum on the right hand side. I can understand you wanting to waive the Moderator title. The word 'Moderator' could be added next to the existing title...

You guys have set a standard for these forums which makes them different from the rest. I keep hearing over and over that nowhere else is there such courtesy and maturity in an audio forum. Such a nurturous place for newcomers to get their feet.

I think that maintaining that is our goal, and that is what I will strive for. There is bound to be the odd incident as we experience growing pains. Lets put our fires out before they get out of hand. If you see something that isn't right, send a private email to the person explaining what they did wrong, and more importantly, what they could do next time to avoid being misunderstood.

Some people haven't learnt how to show courtesy and maturity over the keyboard, it's an acquired skill. All we can do is our best to help them learn and understand.

Others again just don't care, we don't need them here, and I am happy to intervene.

Nobody wants big brother looking over their shoulders. We have a rare opportunity here to collectively police ourselves as a community. A Neighbourhood watch of sorts.

So go ahead and bite your ego, if it hurts you know you are growing.

<i>"One does not need buildings, money, power, or status to practice the Art of Peace. Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train. "</i>- Morihei Ueshiba

Jason.

PS I am prone to editing my posts several times after initial posting
Old 22nd January 2002, 05:37 AM   #5
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

I think that in all honesty there is not really any need for a Status for any of the members here ... neither do we really need a posts count.... just my opinion. an exception to this might be Jason and any one like Nelson Pass etc.
Old 22nd January 2002, 05:39 AM   #6
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

Grey,

How about GrandfatherRollings or GR for short?

Jam
Old 22nd January 2002, 05:52 AM   #7
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Grey really is one of the founding fathers of this board ... elder is really not an adequate expression of this... Grandfather wouldn't be 2 bad if grey didnt mind... of course i am 1/2 way to reaching 1000 posts which @ this rate will probably happen about May 2002 but i do not feel that i should have my status altered @ that stage as the difference between my knowledge and Grey's is immense .... i will also probably exceed Grey's number of posts by August or so but i dont believe that this should in anyway put me above Grey.... I believe Grey has given to this board more than anyone else probably ever will and no number of posts can change this.
Old 22nd January 2002, 06:10 AM   #8
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Titles are primarily to get people posting a lot, and once they have got there, to feel that they are recognised for their commitment to the community.

I think that post counts also have a place, but can get a bit old after a while and can make newcomers feel a little intimidated.

In light of this and in the spirit of trying to keep this thing fun, I have removed post counts, and added a new 'enlightenment' status level. Anyone who achieves 200 posts or has been a registered member of the forums for more than a year can now choose their own title to express themselves however they want. There are a bunch of you just about to topple 200, so there's some incentive
Old 22nd January 2002, 06:16 AM   #9
subwo1 is offline subwo1  United States
diyAudio Member

I think that is a good move, Jason. Now Grey won't have to feel so out of place as anyone might by having such a high count
Old 22nd January 2002, 06:28 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'd like to add my thanks to those who have volunteered to make this resource possible, certainly Jason and Grey, but also all the members who take the trouble to add value and be helpful, and most especially, those who make a living in audio.

Grey, I wonder what you'd think of the approach of first contacting folks privately when their behavior here gets out of line. Public beratings can sometimes blow the issue out of proportion by seeming to carry the weight of judgement, rather than counsel. I'm not in your shoes and don't presume to know fully what you are dealing with -- just thinking about how I'd prefer to be told that my zipper's open.

Hide this!Advertise here!