Warning for potential Hlly costumers (TAMP-90) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2011, 09:07 AM   #1
RogDIY is offline RogDIY  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Warning for potential Hlly costumers (TAMP-90)

I would have liked to share my experiences with the Hlly Tamp-90 amplifier here but unfortunately I never had the opportunity to try out a working one. In the story below you can read how I ended up without an amplifier and with 270$ less in my pocket (I am still waiting for a refund).

I am a very happy Trends Audio TA10.2 owner but I was looking for a bit of extra power. Based on some positive reviews on the internet I decided to order the Hlly Tamp90. I read somewhere that the proper place to order Hlly products is www.hllyelectronics.com so ordered there using Paypal. Although the Paypal payment went flawless, I did not receive any email confirmation from Hlly. I requested an order confirmation multiple times but I never got any response. After 2 weeks I decided to make an issue out of it in Paypal. I immediately got a reponse from mister D.G. from Hlly that they lost the order in their system and that I should re-order at www.hllyhifi.com. Although the price at this new site was significantly higher, I decided to order it after receiving back my money in Paypal.

After about 3 weeks I was very happy to get a parcel from Hlly. My happiness immediately disappeared when I opened the package because:
  • The thick aluminum front plate of the amplifier was heavily damaged;
  • There were moving parts inside the amplifier (noticable when rotating the amplifier);
  • The legs of the power connector were broken;
  • The amplifier only produced noise (when using my own power cord)

The damage mentioned above was clearly caused by rough handling during shipment in combination with a very weak packaging for such a heavy product. I emailed D.G. and he replied that he was sorry for the damage and that he could send a replacement PCB to make the amplifier work. I emailed back that this would only solve one of the problems and after some emails back and forth we agreed that I would send the amplifier back (at my own costs: 50$) and get a refund. I sent the amplifier back and also emailed all the shipment details to D.G. After a few weeks I found out that the amplifier was delivered in China so I reminded D.G. to make the refund. I sent multiple emails reminding him but only received one reply in which he asked for the tracking details of the return shipment. After that he never replied anymore.

I will keep on trying to make Hlly stick to the refund agreement. If they do not make the refund shortly, I also will visit their shop in Kowloon (Hongkong) since I need to be there once in a while for business. I will keep you updated.

Regards,

Rogier (Netherlands)
Old 13th November 2011, 09:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

General advise to everyone.

Always make all communication to the seller thru paypal or ebay!
Never email or otherwise communicate directly to the seller - never!!!!

Hope you get the refund...
Old 13th November 2011, 11:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by palstanturhin View Post
General advise to everyone.

Always make all communication to the seller thru paypal or ebay!
Never email or otherwise communicate directly to the seller - never!!!!

Hope you get the refund...
Hi , I just like it the opposite way. I prefer to communicate directly with the seller and apart from one bad experience (directly dealing with an unknown chinese seller that I met on this site) it all went OK till now. It could be that I don't trust financial institutes or intermediate companies anymore. After having been ripped off by such institutes I try to put my trust in individuals. Especially via diyaudio.com I made very nice trades etc.

IMO financial institutes steal more than any of the sellers on Ebay In good american tradition fear is the way Ebay proves its point (and profits). When you buy via Ebay nothing can go wrong as they guarantee this and that etc. You will notice that their fees are only becoming higher and higher. We would almost forget that we don't need such companies at all. But of course one needs to be cautious when dealing with unknown sellers.

BTW I have a working Tamp-90 (bought straight from HLLY) for sale. No damage but I would advice to replace the input wiring with shielded cabling. Took it apart and haven't replaced the cabling yet.

Last edited by jean-paul; 13th November 2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 13th November 2011, 01:06 PM   #4
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

All sellers are good sellers... until something goes wrong.

Hide this!Advertise here!