Sony 50" Wega TV problem HELP! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2011, 12:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sony 50" Wega TV problem HELP!

Hello good folks! I have a 50" Sony Wega LCD rear projection TV that has horizontal gray lines running through the entire picture. It does not have lines across the menu screen or when it is just on static. The image is real bad at first (rolling) but slowly clears up until just lines. Also, the screen is a little dark, although the lamp was recently replaced and the lamp error code does not come on. A Sony tech said it is not the Optical Block (for whatever thats worth) and not the lamp. I don't know what else to check. Interference from other things is unlikely although I do have a wireless router next to it. Any help would be much appreciated!!
Old 10th November 2011, 01:45 AM   #2
gunn234 is offline gunn234  United States
diyAudio Member

Sony has had lots of problems with their rear projection TVs. I'd say to junk it. I had a friend who had the 70" Qualia 006 which retailed for $13k, he's been through 2 optical blocks and many lamps. These TVs are nowhere near the quality and durability of their CRT TVs which were king back in the day.

You may want to look at the AVSforums for some help, there is also a facebook page called Sony Listens that tries to make things right for Sony customers.
Old 10th November 2011, 07:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn234 View Post
Sony has had lots of problems with their rear projection TVs. I'd say to junk it.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you on discarding the unit. It's similar to the Samsung DLP we had until it died last year just about this time of the year. The LED LCD set that replaced it is bigger, brighter, clearer and runs about 1/3 the power. The Sony and Samsung power consumption is very similar.

G
Old 10th November 2011, 10:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You can probably find a nice 50" plasma between $400-$500 on coming Black Friday. It would probably be about the costs of parts to repair what you have going on with your Sony.

Frys, Costco, BestBuy should have some good deals throughout that week.
Old 10th November 2011, 08:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Could it possibly be the DMD board? Does a rear projection TV even have one? I'm trying not to junk it and am willing to try anything. Would taking the Optical Block out and cleaning it do any good? Is the OB the deli-o behind the lamp? Many thanks!
Old 10th November 2011, 09:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Did you have a look at this thread yet?

Sony KDF-50 worth repairing? Dark wavy lines [Text View] - AVS Forum
Old 10th November 2011, 09:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hello Isaachubbard,

Good evening! My name is Amanda and I work for the SonyListens department. We're here to listen and respond to our customers that may need some assistance regarding to their Sony Electronics. And if you have any questions/concerns relating to your Television please let us know by emailing us at Sonylistens@am.sony.com, with your contact information, mailing address and full model number of your TV, and please also add a description of the issue that you're currently experiencing. I assure you we will get back to you with a response within 1 to 2 business days or sooner. We look forward to working with you. Thank you! =)

-Amanda Maffei
Old 11th November 2011, 12:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help, I looked at the thread suggested and found no bad caps but I do believe that it is a bad board involved. Unfortunately, Sony seems unwilling to help out. I have sent them several emails and spoke to their completely worthless customer service team (barely english speaking).This TV model (and a bunch more from Sony) should have been recalled. To add insult to injury, they offered me 2 different TVs at a "discounted" price. (A google search found that their was barely if at all a discount. In fact, I found some places that offered them cheaper). Sony? What gives!
Old 29th November 2011, 08:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello ISAACHUBBARD. I just inherited a Sony KF-50WE610 this week and it has the identical problem as your Sony TV. I would like to get it working for sentimental reasons. The lamp and Optical Block were replaced a few years ago. I have spent hours on the internet trying to find a fix and yours is the only reference to this particular problem. I have looked at all the caps and all look fine. I too believe it is a PC board problem and would be willing to buy a replacement Sony board. I am wondering if you have had any luck determining what the problem is. I hope we can stay in touch to figure out how to get our TV's working again. Thanks.
Old 18th December 2011, 02:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Sorry

Sorry Salfeld, I have had no luck finding any more information. Please let me know if you do!

Hide this!Advertise here!