No more CDs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Or "Streaming on the move!!, you don't know you're born! None of your cloud computing in my day, oh no. I'm old enough to remember when the internet was actually so slow you had to download music to a noisy disc based storage machine called a harddrive that sat inside your own computer that you kept in your own home!"

Market forces and Disc sales will determine if CD is abandoned.

This item from a single blog has been all over the Net without a single confirmation or denial from record companies. The premise smells like sensationalism designed to drive advertising traffic to the site, so as we've read elsewhere on the Wibbly Web, don't feed the trolls.

It could be just a case of running an idea up the flagpole to see how many people salute it. If there is an outcry they quietly bury the idea, and deny they were ever thinking about it. If gets approval they start making plans for an official announcement. Politicians do this all the time.
I agree.

IMO....It's just corporate greed!.
No matter what profits corporations make any more they are still not staisfied.

They no longer want to be in the music businees. They just want to be in the money collection business!

BTW, let 's not forget that vinyl was declared dead decades ago but refuses to die.
I suspect that CDs wiil not be as easy to "kill" as they are much cheaper to manufacture.

As far as distribition cost ...... well, every product you see in stores has ditribution cost so CDs are not unique by any stretch!.

It's like high end resturants not cooking any food and just giving you the option of ording the ingredients it from another souce with lower qualty and you have to cook it yourself. Not many peole would go to resturants any more.

Yes, just corporate greed!!

Last edited:
The loss of the physical format is irrelevant- just because something is made for download doesn't mean that higher resolution than MP3 is unavailable. The lowering of barriers to entry and distribution is, IMO, nothing but good. More artists will be able to record, produce, and distribute their music directly, without companies like Sony as gatekeepers.

There are no longer any gaterkeepers for recoding artists as DLing and distributing music has been available for years now for new artists. All you need is a web site and a sever.
In fact, it has become a great way for new artists to market their music in the hope of getting a recording contract to market CDs.

Last edited:
The loss of the physical format is irrelevant- just because something is made for download doesn't mean that higher resolution than MP3 is unavailable. The lowering of barriers to entry and distribution is, IMO, nothing but good. More artists will be able to record, produce, and distribute their music directly, without companies like Sony as gatekeepers.

It seems that many are not aware that anything but MP3 downloads are available. Hi-Rez downloads such as HDTracks are generally far superior to what's currently available on a physical media such as CD.

I'm not sure that this spells the demise of CDs or not, although I suspect that it won't, but it does open up a channel to high quality source material for those that place a certain value on well recorded music.

Best Regards,
TerryO

There are no longer any gaterkeepers for recoding artists as DLing and distributing music has been available for years now for new artists. All you need is a web site and a sever.
In fact, it has become a great way for new artists to market their music in the hope of getting a recording contract to market CDs.

Yeah, we've talked about this before. 100% agreed. What's even nicer is the more direct contact between the musicians and their audience.

another good thing is that you can pay for the music you like to the artist that made it , keeping whatever kind of music you like alive and not feeding the record companies.
With the increasing of internet speed as Sy said , i hope there will be higher quality files than we have now in cd.

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I envision near future will give us a possibility to download music files from the internet store (server) with various bitrate/quality. Everyone will have option to select and pay for what quality they want. Just like photo prints in the 1hour photo shop, you select the size, you pay for the size. Future of audio is digital file, whatever the quality, no mechanical storage like cd is required. Everyone will have the server full of music files, which he will be able to access in various rooms from various wifi controllers, feeding the audio amplifiers and speakers. If you will have your server full of 24-bit 96-kHz uncompressed audiophile quality files, feeding through dedicated USB the audiophile quality DA with tubes on output to a classA tube amp feeding the horns…sorry I got carried away. Or someone else will have lowest quality mp3 disco crap there, that’s anyones decision. I just want to have an option. I do not mind paying extra for it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.