Upgrade WiFi Stereo Sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, I just bought a Grace WiFi stereo for the kitchen and although I haven't received it yet I'm not expecting the sound to be impressive.

Bookshelf Micro System [GDI-IRMS300] :

I've heard the Tivoli systems and really like the rich sound they produce; I almost bought one but decided Internet radio was most important and went that direction. Anyway, are there any suggestions on how I can upgrade the sound from this system? The amplifier seems small but then again I don't know how much power is needed for rich sound.

Thanks

That looks pretty good; power may not seem like much, but that's hugely more than is found in typical portable radios. And in fact almost exactly the same as a "high power" car deck's internal amplifiers. You might want to open up a speaker and make sure there's stuffing inside. And while inside, see if there's electrolytic caps in the crossovers.

Maybe the best upgrade would be a powered subwoofer, because 3.5" cones can't move much air. Perhaps just a dual-voicecoil 6.5" to 8" would be plenty. DVC because then you can run it from a single TA2020 or TA2024 amp. An orphaned sub (or two) from a discarded HTIAB* or computer 2.1 system from the thrift store or yard sale may be good enough to fill in an octave or so of bass, and give the music some weight.

* HTIAB stands for "home theater in a box".

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.