Notebook problem, power supply? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2011, 09:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Notebook problem, power supply?

Hi

This is a non audio related problem, however I do use this notebook to listen to music.

I have an ageing IBM Thinkpad that now refuses to power up. The battery is pretty much shot, and I have been using it via the smps for some time. The other evening my wife noticed there was no mains power and the Thinkpad quickly went in to hibernation.

I replaced the fuse in the plug and attached a meter to the power supply, its output was 16vdc, the correct voltage. I then proceeded to reconnect it to the notebook. It powers up the notebook for a few seconds then blows a fuse.

I am trying to ascertain if the power supply is faulty or the notebook. I'm not sure if the power supply is blowing when under load because it is faulty, or there is a fault in the notebook causing the fuse the blow.

Could someone suggest a way of testing the smps? If it turns out to be a power supply I will buy a replacement, if not its a new notebook

Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 05:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If u have extensively used it, the switching transistor, the main semi that the smps is designed around, is blown.

If u r lucky, it could also be a simple crack in the solder near hot components, due to heating.
Old 14th October 2011, 05:54 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

My first notebook computer is IBM Thinkpad, but now phased out. Pure battery operated notebook computer (i.e. SMPS plug off) is the best for audiophile purpose because it eliminates any noise from AC power supply as well as possible EMI interference migration such as from noisy fan to main board via AC source.
There are only two power supply conditions for notebook computer. One is pure battery operated condition and anther one is battery charging condition. If the measured output of SMSP is correct, then fuse blow-off problem is mainly due to overcurrent in short circuit under loading condition. The normal operating condition of notebook computer is below 3A. If your notebook is normal under pure battery operated condition (i.e. SMPS plug off), then the problem may be due to component ageing in your SMPS or the charging circuit of your notebook computer. You may ask your friend to hire a SMPS with same spec to test, If OK, then confirm SMPS problem. Since SMPS is very cheap, the repair cost may be similar to new one. Thus, just buy a new one.
Old 18th October 2011, 05:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The 5.00 replacement smps arrived today.

Notebook: Its alive!

Well done guys, greatly appreciated. It will be nice to get another year or so out of it.

Hide this!Advertise here!