Near Disaster!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I'm getting near the end of my speaker project, it was coming time to install the XO's in the cabinets.
I'm using "zero nails" adhesive, so these puppies aren't gonna come out once they're in.
Anyway, I was just about to commence gluing when I thought "Hmm, perhaps it might be a good idea to test the thing before I install..."
Boy am I glad I did. I wired it up with the drivers sitting on the floor and slowly turned up the volume. Oh oh, where's the bass? :(
I know that without a cabinet, it will roll off real quick, but I'm talking bass like crappy laptop speakers!
Panic. Check wiring. Whoops, inductor, then cap. I'd wired it as a high pass!
Man that was too close. If I'd put it in the cabinet, I would have had to run the whole box through the table saw to get it out again. :bigeyes:

I checked that damn wiring about 10 times and never picked it up. Doh!

Anyway, anybody care to share their almost disasters, or complete balls-ups?

C'mon, lay it on us! I'm sure this won't be my last...

Mark

Can't really say I've done anything bad in wiring, but twice while measuring: first was "it sounded like a shotgun going off!" (from person down the hall), and that was only 100uF at 120VDC.. Interestingly enough the rectifier tube lives on!
Second was more recently, measuring plate voltage (500V) on a quad 6L6 amp I'm working on, shorted one plate (dumping a good 200uF through one side of the OPT) and blowing the fuse. Thank goodness for fuses :nod:

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.