Audio Y Splitter Not Splitting Signal Properly

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have a setup where I take a stereo audio track created in Matlab (L track contains signal, R track contains noise) and present it out through the audio jack on my computer using a 1->2 RCA cable. This RCA cable should split the digital stereo track into 2 separate analog mono tracks for further processing. When I silence one of the analog cables (by unplugging either the L or R) in an attempt to either completely remove the signal or the noise, what I find is I'm left with a track that contains both signal and noise. If I unplug the L track, the remaining track tends to have louder noise than signal, whereas if I unplug the R track, the remaining track has a louder signal than noise. This suggests to me that the signal is somehow being premixed before splitting the stereo track into 2 analog mono tracks. I'm fairly certain the problem isn't the 1->2 RCA cable because I've tried using a simple 3.5mm headphone splitter instead and it does the same thing. I am working on Windows 7 with a Creative SB X-Fi sound card with the following details:

Driver Provider: Creative
Driver Date: 7/7/2010
Driver Version: 6.0.1.1348
Driver Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

I would really appreciate any ideas for why the signal is behaving this way.

Cheers,
Jeff

...present it out through the audio jack on my computer using a 1->2 RCA cable. This RCA cable should split the digital stereo track into 2 separate analog mono tracks for further processing.
I would expect a 1->2 RCA cable to behave pretty much as you describe.
I've tried using a simple 3.5mm headphone splitter instead and it does the same thing
A stereo male to 2x stereo female, or stereo male to L and R female?
If you're fairly certain the signal isn't being summed by the cables, that leaves the computer itself as culprit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.