Has DIY Audio started downhill?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got involved in this hobby when it was time to repair some vintage high quality amps I had bought on ebay. I did not know where to begin. I decided that building something from scratch should help bolster my inability to repair. Along the way I began to see what real hi quality hi-fidelity truely is. I learned way more than I had ever thought about audio as a whole, the components, the many different design criteria. It has been a very inspiring journey, though I must add my repair skills are still lacking, one I continue to practice at daily.
My main concern with the direction of this fabulous forum is the loss of many of the pillars of discrete audio. These individuals shaped the very fabric of amplifier design from the late sixtys to today.
With the invention of MP3 walkmans and Ipod the next generation will not know huge hulking multi-hundred watt amps such as those I was raised with.
The only exposure will be at large musical venues.

Tad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.