Do you trust the small audio manufacturers these days?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used to drool at those class A Technics amps at the (now defunct) local dealer. they looked cool with the large lit analog dials. I never got to find how they sounded because they were heavily equalized and always played the local FM stations which were already so heavily compressed that all music sounded the same. but then again I was 16 then...

Technics Class A wasn't really true Class A operation:
Read Bob Cordell's description on these pages:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/32254-new-class-whats-mean-2.html

Technics amp's were usually solid and dependable work horses.

Douglas Self is now advocating the superiority of pure class B!
http://douglas-self.com/ampins/pseudo/subjectv.htm

Last edited:
In which case the more audiophile buzz phrases which are being applied, the more you should fear...:eek:

+1.

Any mention of "quantum" is a warning sign. Same with designer names for components. Reviews in 6 Moons are suggestive (but not dispositive) of someone selling hype and superstition. If the company sells snake oil (magic clocks, cable lifts, burn-in CDs) along with legitimate components, that instantly makes me suspicious about the quality of their other gear as well as their ethics.

Of course, that's easy for me to say- I've only bought one piece of commercial gear in the last several years.

+1.

Any mention of "quantum" is a warning sign. Same with designer names for components. Reviews in 6 Moons are suggestive (but not dispositive) of someone selling hype and superstition. If the company sells snake oil (magic clocks, cable lifts, burn-in CDs) along with legitimate components, that instantly makes me suspicious about the quality of their other gear as well as their ethics.

Of course, that's easy for me to say- I've only bought one piece of commercial gear in the last several years.
oh, the quantum purifiers, "proven aerospace technology".

I used to drool at those class A Technics amps at the (now defunct) local dealer. they looked cool with the large lit analog dials. I never got to find how they sounded because they were heavily equalized and always played the local FM stations which were already so heavily compressed that all music sounded the same. but then again I was 16 then...

for the money , they were very good.the arcam costed 3 times and believe me it was an inprovement but not 3 times better :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.