Chassis and heatsink thermal paint - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2001, 03:27 PM   #1
arnach is offline arnach  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to arnach

I am wondering if anyone knows a good paint to use on heat sinks and chassis that will not impede their thermal properties but gives it a nice looking finish?

I have heard of Nextel or something like that that reduces vibration??

Thanks..
Old 11th April 2001, 04:00 PM   #2
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Anarch,
I haven't heard of the Nextel but I just remembered that here in the US they sell some kind of powder coating specific for aluminum. It's normally used to coat hot-rods engine parts, carburators, and other details. It is very simple to apply, it uses a special electrostatic spray gun, a wire is connected to the part to be sprayed so that the powder sticks to the aluminum. After the powder is applied the part is baked in the oven. The paint is obviously resistant to heat and the finish is very similar to the anodized finish. I think there are a wide variety of colors including black though you could go for magenta or cyan!
Old 12th April 2001, 01:40 AM   #3
arnach is offline arnach  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to arnach
Default Look for that

Thanks, I'll look for that. Nextel is a spray normal or electro paint which creates somewhat of a spongy surface and a nice finish, where the spongy surface reduces vibration. It is used on the Accuphase M-2000 which are some very, very expensive amplifiers.
Old 30th November 2002, 10:01 PM   #4
OliverD is offline OliverD  Germany
diyAudio Member

Nextel is very expensive and not at all easy to work with.

However, it looks great and is far more scratch resistant than any other paint I've ever used.

I used it for aircraft interior, not for heatsinks, though
Old 1st December 2002, 01:49 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

To get the job done:

Black flat (not shiny or high gloss) paint will work about as well as anything else. As long as the paint sticks to the metal.

There was a thread on the subject in Pass Labs Forum: black anodized heatsinks, thread 6128.

In there is a reference that shows anodize is overrated as a heat conductor.

Of course there is the asthetic aspect, then your budget will have be at odds with your ego.

Aud_Mot

Hide this!Advertise here!