Which Microphones, When, Where? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2011, 05:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which Microphones, When, Where?

I would like some education on the subject of microphones - being ignorant of the whole world of audio but wishing to make/record music and record/speak to/from security cams.

What microphones do I use where and when? And what harm can I do if I use the wrong microphone in the wrong place?

I have pc desktop microphones. These would be virtually the same as the headphone microphones which I've also got, I suppose. These plug straight into the computer.

I have a 'dynamic' large size microphone which came with a now dead dvd player for doing 'karaoke'. It has a 1/4" plug and an impedance, I think it said, of 600 ohms. Where can I use this? Into my pc?

I have cheap 30W guitar amp that I plug the output from my 'usb guitar link' thing that plugs into my pc and enables me to play/record guitar into the pc.

What mics should I use to plug into that?

I have a little battery powered 'condenser' microphone with 3.5mm mini plugs and an impedance of 1000 ohms. Where can I use that? It didn't seem to want to work plugged into my computer 'line in'.

There's USB mics for sale nowadays in our local electronics shop. Where could I use them? In the pc? In 'line in' or 'mic in' ? What's the difference with those two?

I have a wireless webcam that requires a mic input. I tried a desktop mic with it and it worked if the sound was close enough to the mic - but there was a lot of background noise from somewhere all the time, like something turning, turning, turning. Any guesses on what kind of mic I should use for it?

And what's all this about 'pre-amps' ? Sometimes it seems (when I'm googling) that every mic or sound source goes into a pre amp first.

I don't have one. Do I need one? Where would I use it?

That's the depth of my ignorance, folks, if anyone would care to enlighten me.

regards,

ab

Hide this!Advertise here!