diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Recommended books (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/196492-recommended-books.html)

Jason 13th September 2011 07:49 AM

Recommended books

Hi All,

I'd like to create a general list of recommended books and make it more prominent, as well as stock (or link to) the best ones in the diyAudio store..

We have a few existing threads on this:

Most Recommended books
Recommended Tube Books for DIY
The best books to buy on speaker design and construction
Please recommend some books about electroacoustics
The best audio amplifier books - Overview (Google books)
New Book Review
Books for Tube nOObies...
best audio amplifier book??
looking for a great tube amp book.
Books!
Best books for solid state design?
What books should I get to learn?
Amplifier Design Book

From those I've got:

If anyone would like to "+1" or vote for any particular book being a "must", it would be most appreciated :)

Cheers,

Jason

Johno 13th September 2011 10:10 AM

Hi Jason,
A very serious sin, you have missed W Marshall Leach - Introduction to Electroacoustics and Audio Amplifier Design.

Jason 13th September 2011 10:36 AM

Thanks! By the way, I have made an mirror archive of the late Mr Leach's website, in the event it ever goes down, we'll have the potential option of restoring that archive.

DF96 13th September 2011 11:10 AM

Horowitz and Hill, Morgan Jones, Doug Self (even for those who disagree with him!), Langford Smith.

For newbies any version of "Foundations of Wireless". Early versions by Sowerby, then MG Scroggie, finally SW Amos. Later versions added "and Electronics". I'm not sure how well known this book is outside the UK.

marce 13th September 2011 03:36 PM

Electromagnetic Compatability Engineering, H Ott
High-Speed Digital Design, Howard Jonson & Martin Graham
The Fields of Electronic, Ralf Morrison

Ron E 13th September 2011 10:08 PM

Theory and Design of Loudspeaker Enclosures - J.E. Benson

It would be nice to see some practical books on woodworking and metalworking as well as essential tools, etc and how to start a workshop the right way in various amounts of space.

Jason 14th September 2011 03:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I guess the main point of this thread is to say that there is a lot out there, but what is the cream of the crop and should be "recommended".

What are your "Top 5" essential recommendations?

Johno 14th September 2011 06:31 AM

Top 5

Top 5 is very personal, my selection reflects a former life as an EE although now I am older and lazier the empirical approach is winning more and more over rigorous design.

1/ Leach - Introduction to Electroacoustics and Audio Amplifier Design
2/ Manufacturer data books (hard copies used to be free, mine are frozen in time in 1987 but now supplemented by the internet)
3/ Manufacturer application notes (ditto)
4/ Most used is Siliconix Mospower Applications, 1985
5/ LTSpice reference manual (now no need to waste time on the math)

sofaspud 14th September 2011 06:42 AM

If I may I'd like to suggest that the recommendations be further divided into beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Or some variation thereof. IMHO it would help everyone zero-in on the sort of reading they want/need.

Jason 20th September 2011 09:00 AM

That's a good idea, and I have no idea which books fall into which groups :)