Setting up a 2.1 system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't see another subforum to put this in

This may be somewhat confusing but bare with me if you are willing as it is a little hard for me to explain

I have an old stereo (70's or 80's) that claims to push 45 watts, not sure what it really can do now though. I have two bookshelf speakers that can take 65 watts. This set up has worked for a while but recently I've been modifying this

So not to long ago I took the amplifier and subwoofer from my car and added it to my setup. The amplifier is being powered by a computer power supply to get the 12v needed for it.

Now I have this receiving its signal through a 3.5mm jack splitter coming out from the PC. The other part of the splitter goes to the stereo. This works fine however there is a catch and I was also wondering what better way I can set this up for getting a signal to the amplifier. My amplifier for the sub has RCA inputs and speaker level inputs.

The catch is, I want to have a set of wire coming from the stereo and hooked up to a Solid State Relay which in turn lets lights beat to music. Is this damaging to the stereo at all?

The SSR is based upon the volts going down the speaker wire. It triggers at about 3 volts. If I could find a way to put an adjustable resistance into this that would be fantastic if you can think of it off the top of your head. But mainly, where should I run speaker wires from -> the SSR

I hope this makes any kind of sense, if not I'll try to rewrite it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.