Mac Book help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello fellas! I would like to buy a Mac book for my daughter, she is 16. But I do not know much about mac's. I saw some that I liked very much. I am looking for a 13' and no more than $1200. the models that I saw are:
Mac book air MC503LL/A
Mac book pro MC700LL/A
Mac book pro? MC965LL/A
can someone please give me an advise the one I should get for my daughter.
Thank you;)

I tend to prefer the all-aboard MacBooks myself, but it really depends on what she will be using it for.
If she will carry it around a lot and doesn't routinely need a CD/DVD drive, the Air is awesome. The battery lasts longer, it is lighter and the fact that it doesn't have a hard drive with moving parts makes it more resilient to the abuse these things get while being dragged around.

We actually bought the entry-level Air today for my MIL. All she does is email, internet and looking at PDF and word documents, along with importing pictures from her camera. Oh, and Skype with her grandson. :D
They frequently go back and forth between home and a little weekend retreat cabin, so she wanted something light. I configured it for her and it feels really snappy. I have a 2.53GHz 15" MBP from work with 8GB of RAM and the Air did just fine in comparison. I started a couple of apps and did stuff at the same time on both computers. File operations are actually MUCH faster (expected), which compensates for the difference in CPU speed.

Based on my own usage, I really don't use CDs/DVDs often. For the occasional movie/installation, the $79 external drive would sound like a good option to me, if I were in the position to decide. Again, she won't have to lug it around if she doesn't need it.

If it's mostly for home use, all of these arguments are not as important anymore, of course. Just thought I'd share....

...my $0.02
Good luck, she will LOVE it either way!
Stefan

I am quite confident that your daughter would like the MacBook Air form factor a lot more than the MacBook Pro.

The 13" (normally $1299 but you should be able to find it cheaper) MacBook Air (MC965LL/A) is a really nice portable computer.

Core i5 1.7Ghz (TurboBoost up to 2.7Ghz)
4 GB ram
128 GB SSD
1440 x 900 display
Ultra svelte unibody frame
Lightweight

For all intents and purposes it is faster than the equivalent 13" MacBook Pro because of the SSD and has a higher resolution screen.

Check out this review at AnandTech where he tests the new 11" and 13" against nearly all other Intel Macs.

If in doubt, go see the MacBook Pro and compare it to the MacBook Air afterwards. The MacBook Pro just resembles a dinosaur after looking at the MacBook Air ;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.