Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2011, 10:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Default Now this is something you don't see often - taking apart a $1000 Dynaudio driver

short background: Dynaudio Confidence 3 speakers with woofer burned because of DC. listening session at my home with a (non-audiophile) friend turned bad -> desecration of the dead woofer's remnants.

the replacement drivers cost $/EUR 1000 each. if you ever wondered what makes a midbass cost that much...

for one... I remember all the fuss about the 3'' hexatech aluminium coil. try to spot that in the pics, I could only find round section copper wire.

other highlights: the front magnet is not centered. I would estimate the offset to at least one millimeter. there's an iron disc between the neodymium (I'm assuming the "NEO" label is trying to suggest that) and the ferrite magnet that's also well off-center. so this is what you get for having an overpaid worker manually glue those instead of a chinese one pressing the "ON" button on an machine that automates it? how hard is it to make a plastic centering tool that would solve the job?

I couldn't find anything that remotely suggests high-end there. the cast basket is norm with $50 speakers. there's no copper ring. nothing else apart the much marketed 3'' voice coil, which so many manufacturers can do without.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6240001.jpg (202.9 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg P6240003.jpg (197.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg P6240006.jpg (174.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg P6240013.jpg (196.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg P6240015.jpg (50.0 KB, 122 views)
Old 4th September 2011, 10:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
and the VC:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6240007.jpg (318.7 KB, 86 views)
Old 4th September 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hexatech aluminium voice coil was a Morel design feature, not Dynaudio.

Mike
Old 4th September 2011, 10:34 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Dynaudio was claiming hex coil back in the '70s (and even when they were still SEN Labs). I think that predates Morel?
Old 4th September 2011, 10:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I did not know that. Even an old fart like me learns something new once in a while.

Mike
Old 4th September 2011, 10:50 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Dynaudio was claiming hex coil back in the '70s (and even when they were still SEN Labs). I think that predates Morel?
Morel licenced a lot of tech from Dynaudio when they started up including the Hex.

dave
Old 4th September 2011, 11:03 PM   #7
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Morel licenced a lot of tech from Dynaudio when they started up including the Hex.
IIRC. Hexatech was a round wire coil that was compressed in a press. Seems like the insulation would be more likely to "flow" than the copper. Perhaps nothing more than a faster way to bond the coil...
Old 4th September 2011, 11:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Very nice to look at these pics. I always suspected a very intimate (including joint production) relationship between Morel and Dynaudio, and this seems further confirmation. I had a pair of Morels that bumped the backplate, after which I took them apart, like you did. The blue colour of the alu voicecoil is identical. As to the hexatech, which my morel should have had, it also looked suspiciously like plain round copper wire. And like in what you show, the ferrite was not aligned either.

vac

Hide this!Advertise here!