Now this is something you don't see often - taking apart a $1000 Dynaudio driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
short background: Dynaudio Confidence 3 speakers with woofer burned because of DC. listening session at my home with a (non-audiophile) friend turned bad -> desecration of the dead woofer's remnants.

the replacement drivers cost $/EUR 1000 each. if you ever wondered what makes a midbass cost that much...

for one... I remember all the fuss about the 3'' hexatech aluminium coil. try to spot that in the pics, I could only find round section copper wire.

other highlights: the front magnet is not centered. I would estimate the offset to at least one millimeter. there's an iron disc between the neodymium (I'm assuming the "NEO" label is trying to suggest that) and the ferrite magnet that's also well off-center. so this is what you get for having an overpaid worker manually glue those instead of a chinese one pressing the "ON" button on an machine that automates it? how hard is it to make a plastic centering tool that would solve the job?

I couldn't find anything that remotely suggests high-end there. the cast basket is norm with $50 speakers. there's no copper ring. nothing else apart the much marketed 3'' voice coil, which so many manufacturers can do without.

Attachments

• P6240001.jpg
    P6240001.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 158
  • P6240003.jpg
    P6240003.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 153
  • P6240006.jpg
    P6240006.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 148
  • P6240013.jpg
    P6240013.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 149
  • P6240015.jpg
    P6240015.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 146
Very nice to look at these pics. I always suspected a very intimate (including joint production) relationship between Morel and Dynaudio, and this seems further confirmation. I had a pair of Morels that bumped the backplate, after which I took them apart, like you did. The blue colour of the alu voicecoil is identical. As to the hexatech, which my morel should have had, it also looked suspiciously like plain round copper wire. And like in what you show, the ferrite was not aligned either.

vac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.