LED's... sound reactive?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so i was wondering...

im in the process of constructing a battery powered boom box, and i got some leds to make it look nice :p

but if i wired them to the amp output so they go with the music would it affect the sound that much? i dont really want any distortion or loss of volume.

here are the LED's

there is tech spec on the page somwhere. but it means nothing to me lol.

thanks!!!

Better to use an LED bar graph driver, like an LM3914/3915/3916 (whichever are the logarithmic ones), or one from a more consumer product oriented brand like Rohm. Or do the brute force comparator thing using LM324 and resistor ladders. Download a Rane mixer schematic and see what circuit they used. Or salvage the chip and display from scrapped consumer gear. Wiring a matrix of LEDs and scanning with a 4017 should make for a lively display.

For higher power stuff, Velleman sells a speaker-powered LED display kit, K4307.
http://www.vellemanusa.com/downloads/0/manual_k4307.pdf
Seems overpriced (two channels worth would cost more than I paid for my new Blu-ray player), but the schematic and parts list are in the manual (see above).

Search ebay for LED vu and a few other kits show up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.