dIsAbled?! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 18th August 2011, 12:09 AM   #1
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
Default dIsAbled?!

I just saw a few pictures of some "enabled" fullrange drivers with "markings" on the FRAME of the driver. Are there also "markings" on the magnet?

Am I the only one skeptical about the process? I saw it when it began several years ago and thought to myself; "ah, another interesting bit of snake oil."

I saw the enabling thread rise to over 1,400 posts, and was willing to wait until I heard an enabled driver, or to try the treatment myself, to form a final opinion.

BUT; seeing the FRAME of a driver with a pattern of dots on it is the straw which broke the camel's back for me. I am now convinced there is no utility to the treatment.

Seeing as there is a thousand page thread devoted to the glories of enabling, I would like to hear from anyone else who thinks it's in their heads.

Sincerely,
Tade

Old 18th August 2011, 12:40 AM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

While famously a steadfast cheerleader for the magic polka dots since first hearing the difference well over 4 years ago, I kinda agree with the excess of treating surfaces not in direct interface with the air between the enclosure and your ears.

I've heard it make a difference (improvement) when applied to the baffle/side panels of a speaker enclosure with which I'm quite familiar .

Careful loading a question with "who thinks it's in their heads" - that's where all perceptions ("false" or otherwise) live

Seriously though, there's been a continuous and fractious debate on the technical and objective aspects of this subject since Bud first offered the process to the public.

I'm sure you wouldn't have to look far (start at 6moons) to find far stranger and costly "processes", magik colored tin-foil triangles, brilliant pebbles, platinum resonator cups, etc ad nauseum offered to the audio consumer in promise of life changing revelations.

Old 18th August 2011, 01:19 AM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

EnABL does not do what is says on the tin. If you read the patent and some
of the utter nonsense in the subjective thread you might think its the greatest
thing since sliced bread and the answer to all aural ills, including the drivel in
the patent that claims it fixes all diffraction issues when applied to cabinets.

You have to be a complete moron to take any of this seriously, it is pathetic.

rgds, sreten.

Old 18th August 2011, 03:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

chrisb,

I totally agree that there are tons of products that make use of the placebo effect. What irks me about "Bud's process" is its ties to DIY, and the fanaticism surrounding it.

To me, It's the difference between a wealthy audio-fool buying some shakti resonators to place around his room, and someone in the DIY community spending hours building shakti resonators when what their system really needs is better bracing in the cabinets etc.

I've never even heard a coherent possible explanation for why the process works; and yes I have looked.

sreten,

Whew, I'm not alone!

Thanks,
Tade

Old 18th August 2011, 03:24 AM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Or you could just listen to it in a blind test. I did. At one test Lynn Olsen was sitting right beside me.

So you can count me as one of the complete idiots. As pathetic as that seems.
I can't speak for Lynn.

Old 18th August 2011, 03:24 AM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

EnABL does not do what is says on the tin. If you read the patent and some
of the utter nonsense in the subjective thread you might think its the greatest
thing since sliced bread and the answer to all aural ills, including the drivel in
the patent that claims it fixes all diffraction issues when applied to cabinets.

rgds, sreten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tade View Post
chrisb,

I totally agree that there are tons of products that make use of the placebo effect. What irks me about "Bud's process" is its ties to DIY, and the fanaticism surrounding it.

To me, It's the difference between a wealthy audio-fool buying some shakti resonators to place around his room, and someone in the DIY community spending hours building shakti resonators when what their system really needs is better bracing in the cabinets etc.

I've never even heard a coherent possible explanation for why the process works; and yes I have looked.

sreten,

Whew, I'm not alone!

Thanks,
Tade

have either of you gents actually heard it?

Old 18th August 2011, 03:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Remember that this is a thread for people who do not believe that "Bud's process" improves the sound of the loudspeaker!

Tade

Old 18th August 2011, 03:28 AM   #8
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

So it's just a rant against the process?

Old 18th August 2011, 03:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Chrisb

No, I have not. I would really like to do a comparison someday.

I'm more concerned with the lack of a concrete theory, or even a standard practice of application. I definitely don't demand measurements or the like. I understand that some acoustical phenomenon are quite difficult to quantify, but if there is no theory, AND there is no data...

Old 18th August 2011, 03:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Pano,

Yes. I couldn't find a discussion which wasn't 100% in favor of the process. I wanted to see if anybody else thought it was as fishy as I did.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!