Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2002, 08:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeC
Default What's the best way to burn in a power cord?

Any thoughts?

thanks
Old 16th January 2002, 08:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Default Re: What's the best way to burn in a power cord?

Run 200 amps through it

No, seriously... check http://sound.au.com/madashell10.htm#pwr-leads and http://sound.westhost.com/madashell.htm#burnin .
Old 16th January 2002, 09:23 AM   #3
bawang is offline bawang  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I nearly said "In the fireplace"........ Ha Ha Ha
Old 16th January 2002, 09:27 AM   #4
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Burning in power cords, speaker cords etc. is a myth.... so is the 'audiophile grade' mains power cords.... just buy good quality cable with good quality connectors that dont cost a fortune and and be happy with it.
Old 16th January 2002, 10:53 AM   #5
swede is offline swede  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

AudioFreak: There you go! Ripping up old wounds, starting yet another religious discussion! ;=)

But, I'm on your side.

Regards,
//magnus
Old 16th January 2002, 11:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Such power cords ususally just act as an RF filter. Put an RF filter on your component instead. They cost from $2 and up.

Petter
Old 16th January 2002, 11:31 AM   #7
yeti is offline yeti  Germany
diyAudio Member

Cool cord on fire

The easiest way is:short one end and connect the other to a big car battery.
Old 16th January 2002, 12:02 PM   #8
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Quote:
Originally posted by swede
AudioFreak: There you go! Ripping up old wounds, starting yet another religious discussion! ;=)

But, I'm on your side.

Regards,
//magnus
Why not swede ... if it means that i'll cop a whole heap of flak i for one couldnt care less.... If it means the truth of the matter comes to light and even one person is better off than it was worth it.... sure its nice to be liked but if popularity is the price i must pay for speaking the truth of the matter than so be it.... sure i get things wrong ... Geoff can tell you all about how i've stuffed things up when writing replies to posts (admittedly i do so most times simply out of inexperience).... but we all get things wrong some times ..... and i'm not afraid to admit when it's me who's made the mistake.... as for this topic tho, i am sick of seeing people who have a genuine passion but are blinded by the utter lies out there and so never achieve what they could have...... so i'll keep on treading on peoples toes and being controversial but i wont be shut off to suggestion on things i am not totally qualified to answer (thanks again to Geoff, Paulb, GRollins and others) ...... the day i do that is the day i stop learning and that is the day i might as well forget about it all.....

Finally swede, thanks for your support on this matter.

Oh and as already stated above, an RF filter can be a worth while addition but they too have downsides and dont always make things better....
Old 16th January 2002, 01:16 PM   #9
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

A power line filter (that kills crap coming in) can make a significant difference to sound quality. This is not the same as just an expensive power cord, though, so beware. Look for actual specifications, instead of testimonials.
The ESP site given earlier has an amazing story about a review of a device that (after being "burnt in"!) adds all this great stuff to any audio system. The reviewer absolutely loved it and raved about all the wonderful things it did. But a follow-on review by the same guy said it wasn't that good after all, in fact it was bad.
I think the payoff cheque promised for the first review never arrived...
Old 16th January 2002, 02:39 PM   #10
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Little longer reply

To all those that gave AudioFreak a quick short reply, that was my first thought as well, but, after reading his later reply, I thought I would post a little explanation.

AudioFreak, the RF filter thing is a valid item, beyond that, why would "burning in" a power cord be something you would want to do? Think about it this way, are you concerned that the outlet is properly burned-in? What about the wires, breaker, meter, pole transformer, etc? You start to see a little of what's going on here. Worrying about "burning in" a very short section of the power feed is rather pointless when you look at the total length all the way back to the power station. Granted, filtering and what not over that short distance WILL make a difference, but why would you care about a "hospital grade" or "audiofile grade" or whatever grade power cord that does nothing? Why are you worrying about that power cord when its most likely plugged into a $2 (max) outlet in the wall? (Unless of course you replaced the outlet yourself, or had it replaced with a higher quality one) Even then, you've got solid core romex running in the walls to the breaker box... Basically, my view (and apparently shared by others) is that its not worth spending big bucks on.

I'm not trying to make fun of you, AudioFreak, but thought I'd provide a little more information, rather than just "Its stupid". No offenses?

Hide this!Advertise here!