need help with a Giant "Laser" light - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2011, 04:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default need help with a Giant "Laser" light

Hi All
Anyone know anything about laser's? this is a AmericanDJ laser 300. It lights up but is not bright enough to show on a wall. it had a loose cap on the power supply board(10uf 400v)so I replaced it (i thought it was bad but is was just loose but i had a new one so i replaced it). how many volts is the tube? I can't find a manual for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laser.jpg (131.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 24th July 2011, 04:25 AM   #2
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

It's a standard gas laser tube... it may be shot.
It may not.
The board to the left runs the mirrors that are to the right.
The tube ought to be continuous, meaning the HV is always on, and it makes light... I think.But you can look up the wiring and voltages for standard gas laser tubes online. I would expect several kV minimum... it might be simpler to use or buy a newer one or replace with a solid state diode laser if the mirror assembly part still works...

Others may have more info...

_-_-bear
Old 24th July 2011, 04:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

A buddy gave it to me and I thought I'd open it up and take a look. the mirrors spin and I can see a blue laser light dancing around making patterns if i look in through the window that it should be sending the laser light out of. I don't need it but it looked fun to try to fix it.
Old 24th July 2011, 05:45 AM   #4
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

DO NOT LOOK IN THE WINDOW IT SHOULD BE SENDING LIGHT OUT OF!!!

Do a search, check the standard voltages for similar tubes, get a HV probe on it and see what the voltages are...

or replace the tube with a solid state laser diode unit...

_-_-bear
Old 24th July 2011, 06:14 AM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Remember reading years ago (Maplin catalogue of all places as they used to sell a gas laser tube) something like that the device had to be used regularly for a minimum number of hours per week/month whatever. That must be 25+ yrs ago now. Don't know if that would aply to modern devices...
Old 24th July 2011, 09:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Three usual causes of gas laser failure, PSU, outgassing, and cavity alignment. The only one you can fix is the PSU, and when they go, they usually go spectacularly, and leave evidence, so I'd suspect one, (or both), of the others. Rip out the tube and HV PSU and stick an extra bright laser pointer in there. It will likely be better than the original.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 24th July 2011, 02:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
Three usual causes of gas laser failure, PSU, outgassing, and cavity alignment. The only one you can fix is the PSU, and when they go, they usually go spectacularly, and leave evidence, so I'd suspect one, (or both), of the others. Rip out the tube and HV PSU and stick an extra bright laser pointer in there. It will likely be better than the original.
Then it must be the tube the PS seems fine. I just tested the mirror set up with a cheap pen laser and made a nice light show on the wall (my cats went nuts LOL) so my plan is to pull out the tube and PS add a 3v PS with 5 dollar laser then open a disco. OK maybe not the disco but my kids will have fun. It has a setting to dance with the music (it has a small mic inside) or auto mode this thing is really cool.
Old 25th July 2011, 12:28 AM   #8
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, get a nice solid state laser, green or even blue. I have several, they are cheap and bight. Have fun!

Hide this!Advertise here!