need help with a Giant "Laser" light

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
Anyone know anything about laser's? this is a AmericanDJ laser 300. It lights up but is not bright enough to show on a wall. it had a loose cap on the power supply board(10uf 400v)so I replaced it (i thought it was bad but is was just loose but i had a new one so i replaced it). how many volts is the tube? I can't find a manual for it.

Attachments

• laser.jpg
    laser.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 83
It's a standard gas laser tube... it may be shot.
It may not.
The board to the left runs the mirrors that are to the right.
The tube ought to be continuous, meaning the HV is always on, and it makes light... I think.But you can look up the wiring and voltages for standard gas laser tubes online. I would expect several kV minimum... it might be simpler to use or buy a newer one or replace with a solid state diode laser if the mirror assembly part still works...

Others may have more info...

_-_-bear

A buddy gave it to me and I thought I'd open it up and take a look. the mirrors spin and I can see a blue laser light dancing around making patterns if i look in through the window that it should be sending the laser light out of. I don't need it but it looked fun to try to fix it.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Remember reading years ago (Maplin catalogue of all places as they used to sell a gas laser tube) something like that the device had to be used regularly for a minimum number of hours per week/month whatever. That must be 25+ yrs ago now. Don't know if that would aply to modern devices...

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Three usual causes of gas laser failure, PSU, outgassing, and cavity alignment. The only one you can fix is the PSU, and when they go, they usually go spectacularly, and leave evidence, so I'd suspect one, (or both), of the others. Rip out the tube and HV PSU and stick an extra bright laser pointer in there. It will likely be better than the original.

Three usual causes of gas laser failure, PSU, outgassing, and cavity alignment. The only one you can fix is the PSU, and when they go, they usually go spectacularly, and leave evidence, so I'd suspect one, (or both), of the others. Rip out the tube and HV PSU and stick an extra bright laser pointer in there. It will likely be better than the original.

Then it must be the tube the PS seems fine. I just tested the mirror set up with a cheap pen laser and made a nice light show on the wall (my cats went nuts LOL) so my plan is to pull out the tube and PS add a 3v PS with 5 dollar laser then open a disco. OK maybe not the disco but my kids will have fun. It has a setting to dance with the music (it has a small mic inside) or auto mode this thing is really cool.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.