speaker cable myths and facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sy,

I'd be happy to. Done it many times before, will do it many more times. In that professional arena, DBTs are the norm and necessary for any serious evaluations or for qualification for wine judging. Lame excuses don't fly, you can distinguish or identify wines blind or you can't. OTOH, once we're done with that, I'll happily put you to the test to see if you can distinguish between zip cord and the designer cable of your choice (with the zip cord having the same DCR as the designer cable and using a stable amplifier, maybe one of John Curl's). Or between copper and silver. Your choice.

Up for the challenge?

I pointed out before I am allergic to challenges of that kind in a different thread.

However, here is a challenge back for you.

Would you be willing to reimburse my plane tickets and other incidental expenses (which may include concert tickets, copious amount of good beer, meals at restaurants serving "soul food" and/or french cuisine and the tips for quite a few strippers) if I administered a double blind test to you regarding (say) the difference between a piece of wire of your choice, an audio note silver foil capacitor (bargain at 900 Pound per piece) and a (say) Wima Cap?

Of course, I may be my devious self of course and instead of switching capacitors change the channels, invert one channels polarity, change the peak level by 1db or do a lot of other things that are known to be audible without telling you the game changed.

After all, the test is supposed to be blind, right?

If you fail, would you pay up (I am very good on maximising "incidental expenses")?

In the end, among people at our income level we are talking "toy" money, sure it means you miss out on a toy if I "win" but I get to play...

Actually, you have a better chance than most of my previous victims to defeat me, because like me you know the very technique to create a "win" in a challenge, so you may counter successfully...

Ciao T

I'm not interested in "defeat," I'm interested in getting at what's real. That's one reason I spent time listening to Hawksford's files and delivering my guesses to a third party.

FWIW, I'm already set up to compare the V-Cap ($300 or thereabouts) to a Radio Shack electrolytic, should you wish to give that one a spin.

Hi Pano,

It's just a little audio test, not the Spanish Inquisition. (No one expects that)

Forgive me, while the Spanish Inquisitor, the Stalinist purges, the McCarthy persecutions, and others where perfectly innocent and never hurt anyone (or did they?), it seems clear that some believe that the contention that X (X being either capacitors [which D. Self and C.Bates illustrated to be a little more than "passive") is true, without the benefit of proof and seek to impose this particular view on all others.

Ciao T

There is a twisted, infantile logic that pervades this thread and just about every other cable thread I have seen.

A guy/gal merely states that he/she finds cables / wires can sound different - ergo he/she is a poor deluded audiophool who spends megabucks on expensive exotic cables made by unscrupulous exploitative manufacturers, obviously having been hoodwinked by slick advertising into believing that sound quality is commensurate with price.

The ‘objectivists’ then then pile on to have a great backslapping / smirking session while subjecting the poor miscreant to group ridicule.

Reminds me of gangs in the schoolyard...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.