Detect petrol burglary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had my car tank emptied by a burglar by cutting the rubber hose that leads to the filling point. This happened in my parking place below my apartment.
The motion detecting spy pens r very costly.

Now I want to make some sort of detection and sound an alarm.

I want to detect the petrol in air near the hose, with some simple means.

Can it be done using some ionizing chamber.

Thanks in advance.

Gajanan Phadte

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Probably you could given a suitable chamber... if they are exposed to the elements though they might not survive... quite fragile I think.

If the pipe would move physically when disturbed or cut maybe something like an optoisloator (the sort with a gap in the package) and a vane or something stuck on the pipe to block the IR but that move if disturbed.

1) New tank fill tube mounted behind hinged license plate, ala Pontiac Lemans or GTO.
2) Old fill tube goes to new small 2-gallon tank of gas/sugar mix.
3) Park in dark place to encourage theft.
4) Watch for neighbor with stuck rings.

Note that the old "sugar in gasoline" legend as a way to scrap engines has been thoroughly debunked. Because sucrose is essentially insoluble in gasoline it will not mix in and simply lies on the bottom undissolved. Google "sugar in gas tank myth".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.