volume control problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2003, 08:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mozikluv
Unhappy volume control problem

how about helping me with my problem on volume controls. What we have here in the Philippines are of poor quality potentiomenters especially the dual ganged type, The single type is better but you cant use it to control a stereo setup.
does anyone know of a circuit design to control stereo using a single pot.? am tired of changing my pot 3x a year due to scratchy noise, but my pot on my am radio is already 3 yrs. old and is still efficient. your help would be highly appreciated. thanks
Old 7th September 2003, 09:21 PM   #2
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
does anyone know of a circuit design to control stereo using a single pot.?
There are various electronic attenuator circuits, but none sound as good as a good analogue volume control.

If you can't source locally, you must be able to order via the internet. There are a lot of on-line companys.
Maybe your next question should be "who to order from" and "which one". I you ask this question, you should tell us what value pot you need.

Cheers,

EDIT: There can be external reasons for pots to become noisy - DC being one of them (with cheap pots). Make sure that there is not DC on the wiper of the control.
Old 7th September 2003, 10:45 PM   #3
tool49 is offline tool49  Canada
diyAudio Member

I did find a simple circuit that will allow you to control two channels (or more) with a single rotary linear potentiometer.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/I...rticleID=2531#

Have a look, it is fairly simple and quite expandable.

Hope this helps!
Old 8th September 2003, 08:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mozikluv
Default volume control problem

man, your reply is too good to be true, but it sure will cure my problem. have the the article you sent and i have no doubt about it. this one problem solve but it created another problem, am not sure if this chip is available in my country, i'll just have to try looking for it here, if not i will be force to source it frm other countries. again thank you for your reply, will let you of the result as soon as i finish it.

Hide this!Advertise here!