Bybee Music Rails - My Experience - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2011, 05:48 PM   #11
Magz is offline Magz  United States
diyAudio Member

Similar but they come in both + and - versions. The details of the inner workings haven't been revealed but there is a block diagram in the patent that shows it to be an active filter with an opamp on the output. There is another thread on Diyaudio that discusses the Rails in greater detail, including a link to the patent.
Old 21st February 2012, 04:21 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Well, they do something -- in fact, if you carefully examine the impedance from 20Hz to 50Hz it can go down to a micro-Ohm -- this is the positive Music Rail -- since it's just 1/3 octavo from 10Hz the detail isn't quite there, but you get the picture:
Attached Images
File Type: gif Bybee_POS_Impedance.gif (18.4 KB, 360 views)
Old 29th April 2013, 01:59 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Their performance on the impulse test is AWFUL --

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th May 2013, 09:40 AM   #14
yairf is offline yairf  Israel
diyAudio Member

Default Some usage notes on Bybee Music Rails

Hi
I have applied Bybee's Music-Rails in several cases so far, with very consistent results - significantly reduced noise and no degradation in dynamics.

Here are some examples:

1. DEQX PDC2.6P and HDP-3
This is an active crossover and speaker correction unit with pretty good output stage, but less impressive power supply. I took the power supply out and built a new one from scratch using 100VA trafo, large caps, 317-337 regs, and Music-Rail filters (pos+neg).
Bypass caps are Mundorf M-CAP 10uF Poly's:

2. Naim NAC-32.5 preamp - I used two Bybee Music-Rails for each 24V rail. This is powered by el-cheapo power supply feeding it with raw DC voltage, saving the cost of the external Hi-Cap power supply.

3. Own built power amp, based on Ground-Sound class-AB 300W modules, powered by 800VA trafo, soft recovery diodes and Mundorf monstrous ML-HC caps. I have applied a pair of 15A Bybee Music-Rails to each channel.

4. Aaron No.3 power amp - it is nicely built, but now its much better, thanks to Bybee 15A Music-Rails per each channel. It is very easy to measure the power rail before and after Bybee. The good news, is there was no degradation to dynamics, which came out as a big surprise for me.

The picture below shows only one pair:

In summary - I can highly recommend them to anyone. Some notes from my experience:
1. Do not use them if your source impedance is too high, as the will lose their effect. This makes them more tricky in tube - amps, where the raw voltage is supplied through CRC network.
2. Bypass is very tricky - if you have bypass caps on your rails, you may need to take them out.
3. Do not use series coils, resistors, or long wires after the Bybee's - you may lose their effect.
4. Note they are limited to 30V, if you need higher voltage, you will need to float them with zeners, resistors and more bypass caps (as shown in the above picture) - keep in mind this will require extra space in your box.

Cheers,
Yair
Old 25th October 2013, 05:57 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I do not have experience YET with the music rails but since I am quite familiar with the Bybees ( must have a dozen of very effective snake oil cans in my set up ) I want to give it a try.

Since the Bybee music rails operate completely different to idiotproof Bybees here is my question:

I want to put the Bybee Music Rail in between my Dexa PSU and Dexa Clock
(Neutron Star Reference...I forgive Lars Clausen such a name...ahum)

I read about paying attention to caps before and after the Bybee...this confuses me since well known companies use these with the Dexa in a just inbetween config to mod eg Esoteric and the likes...

I want to hook it in a 15v line DC first leg GND and the following 5 legs 15 v IN
....the next 5 legs 15 v OUT and last leg GND again.

So in between the grey flat cable

Any advise would be welcome....

Last edited by Erik van Voorst; 25th October 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 25th October 2013, 10:40 PM   #16
yairf is offline yairf  Israel
diyAudio Member

Hi Erik
The output impedance of the Music-Rails is not exactly negligible.
IMO, this makes them less suitable for use in pure digital applications, especially with clocks, dac chips, transceivers etc.
Cheers, Yair
Old 27th October 2013, 12:11 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info....one keeps wondering why eg ASI -tek the Bybee Music rails implements with the Dexa in a few transports and officially offers the set as a modification done by them....even showing the Esoteric of 15.000 dollar with both in it....

I am not saying that they are right ofcourse
Old 27th October 2013, 09:40 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hide this!Advertise here!