Aim, Msn , Icq

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I haven't been on MSN chatrooms for a couple of years. However, the way it worked there was that anybody can open a chat room. Usually, there was enough mutual respect so that the same people could open the chat room with the same name night after night.

They are open to everybody, they are free, and there is an unlimited number of users.

To be honest though, I have abandoned chat rooms and gravitated toward message boards. You can take more time with your answers, plus each thread is devoted to a single topic. On a chat room, everybody has to be on the same topic at once.

Steve Eddy: I was simply making a suggestion to any of the persons of management in diyaudio. An irc server is very easy to install and simple to run. It wouldn't be difficult to do this. Also, if the irc server didn't get used, I'd simply use it for myself because I am about to add some irc servers into my network for my own use anyway.

Duo said:
Steve Eddy: I was simply making a suggestion to any of the persons of management in diyaudio. An irc server is very easy to install and simple to run. It wouldn't be difficult to do this. Also, if the irc server didn't get used, I'd simply use it for myself because I am about to add some irc servers into my network for my own use anyway.

No problem. I'm easy. Just trying to save you some possibly needless effort is all.

Though there is still the moose/Arab terrorist issue. :D

se

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Duo said:
I was simply making a suggestion to any of the persons of management in diyaudio. An irc server is very easy to install and simple to run. It wouldn't be difficult to do this.

I don't know for certain, but I suspect one of the reasons that Jason, (our host), doesn't want a IRC room is that to maintain the high standards of diyAudio it would need to be supervised by one of the mods, and at the moment none of us has the time to do so.

Pinkmouse: I see your point. Has Jason mentioned the IRC at all himself? What are his opinions? I agree, moderating irc channels takes lots of time and lots of people. You'd need one or two people on there all the time no matter what. I could see "shifting" people through as moderator on the channel but that would still be tedious work and I don't think anyone's getting payed to do it.

Either way, my point basically is this: If there's enough people and diyaudio ends up deciding as a whole on getting an irc server, I'd be glad to host it. I won't "force" my idea, I just want to make it clear that I'm glad to help improve the function of diyaudio in any way I can. :)

Joined 2001
Well, I think that DIY'ers can start their own chat room and they wouldn't have to worry about Moderator attention, since it would be unconnected from diyAudio. Like I said, MSN will let you start your own chatroom free of charge. It takes five minutes.

I went back to MSN to see how their chat room thing is faring. Overall, I would say the quality of chat rooms there has declined from a couple of years ago. You would probably be doing MSN a favor by opening an audio chat in the Interests section.

Nothing would prevent you from mentioning it often on diyAudio, even if it is unconnected to the site.

Why are you all talking about a msn chat?
Everybody don't have msn messenger

Open an IRC channel, you can even set up moderators, bots... But I think that if we are just a few members on the channel, we could go without moderation, at least at the beginning.

And IRC is universal, if you don't want to install it, use an applet

Joined 2001
You don't need MSN messenger to set up an MSN chat room. The software is downloaded in two minutes and you are ready to go.

I am not saying MSN is the way to go. I only used it as an example of an easy-to-do way of setting up a chat room, since the management of this website is not interested in any connection to one. In my experience on MSN, most others simply respect the name of your chat room and don't hijack it.

There are other ways to go, such as Yahoo and numerous others.

If you want to make it up of diyAudio members, that is of course the option of the people running it.

I have tried repeatedly to get on IRC chat rooms, but I never get the "hang" of navigating around one. There are other chat room setups besides MSN. I just personally seem to have trouble with IRC. I tried MIRC, etc, with limited success.

It is just that I have heard about running servers, etc., here, and I just thought that I would point out that if you wanted a stand alone chat room, there are numerous easy-to-use options.

I would think that the problem is more of an historical nature. On the forums all posts are kept in a mostly topical order all the way back to the beginning of diyaudio. That history is not available in an IRC or any other chat service I'm aware of, and if it is, it's generally not searchable and/or ordered.

It would be nice to have "something" for those Code Red situations, but I would hate to see that "something" be used for general chat and whatnot that should go in the forums. I don't think that the "1-on-1" IM Audiofreak mentions would work - who to choose? Who's online? Who would best be able to answer? I would think Frank, Fred, Eric, etc would all get tired of the IMs....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.