Some basic electronics and unlearning the wrong - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2011, 05:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Some basic electronics and unlearning the wrong

IMO, electronic beginners and most everybody else can learn a few things from this site. In particular, read the sections on bad physics and bad electricity, as they may clarify some fuzzy concepts that were never really taught correctly, if at all.
Old 2nd July 2011, 01:47 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

He makes some good points, but I feel he overstates his case and I would hate to meet him at a party! When someone sets out to prove that everyone else is wrong it seldom makes a pretty sight.
Old 2nd July 2011, 10:38 PM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Indeed! Some nice points, but many of them seem like semantics, not electrics.
Old 2nd July 2011, 10:55 PM   #4
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Electrical semantics ..... ...........................
Old 2nd July 2011, 11:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I drew an electrical semantic once, but got the words crossed up.

They admit there may be some mistakes on the site, but I find most of it to be valid, plus it keeps the brain working to examine their viewpoint vs what's often taught. The particular analogy I find most important is under capacitor misconceptions, where they debunk the "water bucket" nonsense that's often taught, and replace it with the 2-port captured diaphragm. That alone is worth the price of admission.
Old 2nd July 2011, 11:40 PM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I liked the battery as water pump.
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:04 AM   #7
wbeaty is offline wbeaty  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
They admit there may be some mistakes on the site, but I find most of it to be valid
Pick the worst mistake and email the author. (Or ...post it right here To avoid confusion, copy some actual text and *not* what you think it says.)

I'm constantly improving those articles. A few physicists have been over them to help fix up unclear sections. But outsiders often can see things that even the experts have missed.
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:06 AM   #8
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

The guy's approach is what has people accusing him of nitpicking. In several cases he is accusing the teachers of stupidity and also saying that people taught these concepts will never learn science.

When I read these things, I am annoyed. To a certain extent, one must consider the audience when teaching things, a kindergardener will not be doing surface integrals anytime soon.... Rather than picking on general - and honestly mostly trivial - misconceptions, he should spend his energy creating a lesson plan or science book that is accessible and explains these concepts in a proper manner.

Perhaps he is being provocative to increase the chances that someone will be annoyed and come up with a better explanation
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:26 AM   #9
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Ha! I see the man himself is here. Joined today in fact.
I found quite early in life that if I questioned anyone about conceptual details, I would run out of answers quite quickly. That, and a few good teachers, helped to develop a healthy sense of skepticism about what was being taught and what teachers actually knew. Often a misconception such as the ones he claims are hurtful were the reason I looked further and increased my understanding on a topic. These are like doors opened along the path of education.
Old 3rd July 2011, 01:18 AM   #10
wbeaty is offline wbeaty  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron E View Post
The guy's approach is what has people accusing him of nitpicking. In several cases he is accusing the teachers of stupidity and also saying that people taught these concepts will never learn science.
Be sure not to miss the section "Am I Just A Nitpicker?!"

Hide this!Advertise here!