Is it possible to solder or glue Titanium?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can probably do things much easier on something as small as glass frames. For something that thin you'll need a good low range on the TIG machine...

Here an example how a modern dental laser welding machine looks like.
Of course they are also equipped with a connection for an external argon gas bottle to achieve an argon atmosphere in the working area.

The machine is operated through a stereo-microscope with a hair-cross.
The laser ray can be adjusted in strength, pulse width, spot size etc.

Dental technicians are used to work in the tenth of millimeter range and below.
For a dental technician the size of an eyeglass frame is in the same order of magnitude as if a plumber would work on pipelines............so noooo problem at all regarding the "small" size.

If flies were of titanium I could weld shut their a**hole with such a machine.:clown:

Attachments

• laser_generic.jpg
    laser_generic.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 147
Maybe I should buy one of those
Hello Jan,

slightly overdone for Your eyeglass frame, I fear - the price for those machines is about in the Euro 20000 to 40000 range.

Despite this, as I said already this kind of laser welders are quite common in the dental technology meanwhile and I`m almost sure that a somewhat "bigger" dental laboratory (about 10 people or so) and not too far away from You has one and that they will be able to help You with this small problem.
Likely there are quite a bunch of laboratories around Your place but not everyone has a laser welder (especially for smaller companies with only very few people the acquisition of such expensive equipment is not very economical) so don`t give up fast - You`ll find one!
Usually the laboratory people are well informed about their local competitors and when You explain the matter (indeed that it does NOT have anything to do with teeth!) likely they will give You recommendations who can help You.

I think I will got for the "dentist method" suggested by cocolino. I will keep you informed
BTW: a dentist (is a doctor) and a dental laboratory are two different things - a dentist can`t help You (much) in this case but the laboratory can. Search and ask a laboratory not a doctor!

Yes, please let us know if it worked out okay!

Gotta have a laser!

Well the overhead on a dental laser welder looks kind of high, but the box is attractive enough to overcome the wife factor so it wont have to stay in the barrage and just think of the beautiful point to point circuit assemblies that it will enable...

I’ve put a picture of it on my spare change jar and have already started saving.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.