2-way radio headset microphone....?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im trying to make my own headset for a motorcycle helmet so that it will work with a motorola 2-way radio among other things.

Im a little confused about the microphone wiring. The motorola radio has a 2.5mm stereo jack with the speaker signal on the tip, microphone input on the ring, and ground on the sleeve. I bought a cheap hands free set for the radio that had a mono earbud and a mic with push to talk button, made by motorola. I took it apart and there is a board with a capacitor and resistor in a circuit with what appears to be an electret mic capsule.

How does this work with only a ground and one other connection to the radio? is it actually a dynamic mic if so what is the cap and resistor for? How can i tell?

The mic signal ring on the radio connector is outputting like 3.5VDC. I did hook up a dynamic mic element to the mic ring from the radio in series with a NO pushbotton to ground as a PTT, and when the PB was depressed it worked fine. I would like to use an electret mic since noise cancelling ones are cheap and readily available.

THANKS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.