A couple of hi-fi related questions. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2011, 03:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile A couple of hi-fi related questions.

Hi All,
I'm ashley cox; new on the forums. Have a couple of hi-fi related questions.

I have a cambridge audio A5 amplifier, that has 2 sets of l/r speaker terminals for bi-wiring speakers. My speakers don't support bi-wiring. I was wondering, will it hurt the amp if I use the second set of bi-wire terminals to power a second set of speakers?

My amp also has pre-outs. I'm looking for a way I can use these pre-outs to connect up 2 extra speakers (for the back of my room), and a sub woofer. Is there a way i can do this without having to get an external amplifier? can anybody recommend a cheap sub woofer that connects via RCA pre-outs, and also has outputs for 2 extra speakers?

thanks for any and all help!
Old 18th June 2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Ashley. The biwiring terminals appear to separate the frequencies and that you will only get highs or lows from either set of terminals, so the answer to question 1 is no. If you want to do a test just hook up a speaker to each set of terminals one at a time. This will tell you if it is a bi-amped or simply bi-wired. If it sounds the same on both then the answer is yes if all your speakers are 8 ohms and your amp supports a 4 ohm load.

From the manual:
Quote:
Bi-wiring:
If your loudspeakers are equipped with two sets of terminals, then it is
possible to connect them in the bi-wire configuration (see figures 3 & 5). Biwiring sends the bass and treble frequencies down separate speaker cables,
resulting in a clearer, more focussed sound.
End quote

The pre-outs can be used only to power another amp so you must purchase a second amp if you wish to have the second set up in another room.

The subwoofer only has speaker 'outs' if you use the speaker 'ins' so the answer is no. As far as purchasing a woofer, I would look around in your area for one that meets your needs and is affordable. For a second amp I always like to look in the thrift stores. If you are somewhat patient, there are deals that come around on good used stuff.
Old 18th June 2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

You know, the more I read the manual, the less I think the frequencies are separated.
Old 18th June 2011, 03:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Cal, Thanks for extremely quick response!
I have a decent set of 2.1 computer speakers with RCA inputs; these have their own integrated amplifier. I know this won't give me the best performance, but if I connect a phono cable from the pre-outs of the cambridge amp to the inputs on the 2.0 speakers, ajust the volume on the speakers amp accordingly, can I use this as an aditional amp/sub, at least until I can afford a new amp? will this hurt the equipment?
thanks once again for your help!
Old 18th June 2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

As Cal points out it's important as far as the amp is concerned not to go below the minimum impedance.

You won't harm anything by connecting the preamp out to your 2.1 speakers. You will need to see by trying whether the preout is controlled by the main amp volume control or not.
Old 18th June 2011, 05:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

thanks all for your help! have connected the 2.1 speakers to the amp and is all working great! just wanted to be sure i didn't break anything
Old 18th June 2011, 05:28 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

You may not know until you turn it up and have the protection circuit kick in.

Hide this!Advertise here!