Extreme pcb design!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Very pretty PCB, analogue boards use to be done this way in the 80's with curved tracks, untill it was found it didn't make a bit of difference. Today you have to get things out, so making them look nice dosn't happen as time is the driving factor.

Not necessarily for audio/ hi-end. The pictures of equipment innards shown in the audio glossies are an integral part of the marketing effort so in these cases considerable effort is spend to make then Look Impressive. PCB, wiring, down to the encapsulated xformers and capacitors with gold lettering.

jan didden

I am talking about the view that curved tracks allowed the electrons to flow easier that was the belief of some in the electronics world in the early 80's, we were using red and blue tape ups still in those days, as even though we had an early PC based cad system, a lot of legacy work was still maintaing the taped artworks.
Even so today I still like my PCB's to look pretty, though electrical, signal integrity, EMC considerations come before asthetic apearence especially with digital.
When a product has a good margin, and you are selling into a market based on tactile and visual apearance (as well as performence etc), making things look pretty is a good selling point, and if something does look right it usualy means that some care has been taken over it.
The digital boards in modern audio equipement are digital boards though, and if laid out correctly will follow the same digital layout rules whether they are for a CD player or some control electronics for a nuclear reactor, so all are starting to look very similar.

I did boards for many years using the red and blue tape. They were done at 2X size usually. Too much work! I did this one in the 1980s. I now use Adobe Photo Deluxe and use iron on resist. Not as fancy but comes out nice I think.

Attachments

• NCB.jpg
    NCB.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 94
  • LC1.jpg
    LC1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 85
  • LC2.jpg
    LC2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 88
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.