Isolate an Audio Signal Quesion....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a backplane that has 4 individual connectors where in each connector, a module plugs in. Each module produces a different sound effect.

There is also a 5-way, 2-pole mechanical switch that routes the input signal and power to each of the modules. Therefore, only one module is powered up at a time with the appropriate input signal.

However, the output signal is sharing the same trace in the backplane to the cable which goes to an amplifier, since I thought if the other modules are not powered up, they would have no effect on the output.

Here is the problem, if I plug in more than one module into the backplane there is no output signal or it is extremely low. If I plug a single module in, it works great. My error, I think I inadvertently put all the the modules in parallel.

So, how do I isolated the output signal such that it does not try to go through the 3 unpowered modules?

I thought about maybe adding a diode to each of the outputs or someone mentioned perhaps using an audio trandformer on each of the output lines to block the output signal to the 3 unpowered modules.

Any suggestions will be great.

You need to design the modules so that they each have a high output impedance and just emit some current, or at least have a high impedance when switched off. Wire them in parallel (as you have done) and they won't interact.

Alternatively, make them have very low output impedance and wire them in series. Harder to do, would probably need transformers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.