Jim Williams

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I wrote elsewhere:

Although I never met Jim, I consider him one of my personal heroes, and a guiding influence in my career as an electrical engineer. His many writings were a great source of inspiration and instruction, and remain a constant reference in my work.

His legacy shall live on in those of us who continue to practice the art of analog design; drawing upon his wisdom, and studying his work with the same fascination and reverence he so often expressed in his own examination of predecessors' work.

As we stand today on the shoulders of giants, Jim shines brightly among them.

Rest in peace, good fellow!

CHM - Remembering Jim Williams, Sat, Oct 15, 2011 6p.m.

From the Computer History Museum mailing list -
events at computerhistory period org

Where:
Computer History Museum

Computer History Museum
1401 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Directions

When:
Saturday, October 15, 2011
6p.m.

RSVP now - Remembering Jim Williams

The world around us is a symphony of vibrations. From temperature, light, sound and a host of other physical quantities, we live in a world of continuously varying signals. Capturing these signals and making them do amazing things is the domain of the analog circuit designer.

Join us for a special night on as we feature a panel discussion on the world of analog systems and one of its biggest stars, Jim Williams. Williams was a remarkable man: an engineer who was self-taught yet set the bar for the entire technical community.

Artist, scientist, mentor and teacher, come celebrate and reflect upon this man’s influence and on the world of analog systems around us with five distinguished guests:

- Bob Dobkin, Co-founder and CTO of Linear Technology
- Steve Young, Founder and CTO, Bam Labs Inc
- Steve Pietkiewicz, VP of Power Management Products, Linear Technology
- Bob Reay, VP of Mixed Signal Products, Linear Technology
- Greg Kovacs, Prof., Stanford University, Depart. of Electrical Engineering.

Museum President & CEO, John Hollar will moderate the conversation.

Following the panel discussion, Linear Technology CTO & Co-founder Bob Dobkin will do a book signing for the just-published book, Analog Circuit Design: A Tutorial Guide to Applications and Solutions which he co-edited with Jim Williams. Copies of the book will be available for sale at the event.

On the same day, the Museum also opens its new exhibit: “An Analog Life: Remembering Jim Williams,” featuring Jim Williams’s famous analog workbench.

RE: "CHM - Remembering Jim Williams, Sat, Oct 15, 2011 6p.m."

I bet they could fill the largest auditorium in town for that event! The best I can hope for is that somebody captures it on well-produced video.

Does anybody know if those lines:
"The world around us is a symphony of vibrations. From temperature, light, sound and a host of other physical quantities, we live in a world of continuously varying signals. Capturing these signals and making them do amazing things is the domain of the analog circuit designer."
are quoted from another source? I know a couple places where it would be a VERY appropriate lead-in quote. For those of us who have (supposedly) had our brains rotted by too much rock-and-roll music, it certainly evokes lines by Graeme Edge from "In Search of the Lost Chord":
"This garden universe vibrates complete,
Some, we get a sound so sweet.
Vibrations, reach on up to become light,
And then through gamma, out of sight.
Between the eyes and ears there lie,
The sounds of color and the light of a sigh."
Dale

p.s. - Dang it, now I'm gonna be up all night listening to 40-year old popular music!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.