A DIY piece of furniture for your DIY HIFI stuff?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've got this idea in mind since a couple of weeks, have anyone already done this?
I'd like to see other's people realisations, to give me some ideas about the look and the architecture, and also to see things to do and not to do.

And if many people are interested in this, why not beginning a project?

Some guys have already done this, on a french forum
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29665687&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=225

Looks good!
Is someone else than me also interested in this?

I was thinking about something modular, each plate has its own feets, so you can change theyr position if you want. Place them horizontally, vertically, or 2 vertical arrangements resulting in a large table
For those who know the Naim furniture, I felt in love with this one (but my banker didnt :D)

Alex

Konnichiwa,

Bricolo said:
Here is the link to the naim "fraim support system":

http://www.naim-audio.com/products/fraim.html

Tarnation & blimey. This looks familar to one of my ideas on "cheap, modular and good" HiFi Standz....

Look here:

http://www.ikea.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=7&productId=11215&langId=-20&parentCats=10117*10311

Cut the legs to legth and fit cups and halve balls (or whole ball bearing balls) and the same for the glass shelves....

Now add a nice piece of glass shelving from your local shop (or how about acrylic?), done.

NICE AND CHEAP, plus minimal woodwork.

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

Bricolo said:

But I'm decided to keep the modular system I described in the 1st post

I'm with you there. A simple to build and modular Rack is a neat thing to have. I'm remineded again and again of the essentialness of such a thing with my constantly differing configurations of gear due to reviews. Having a few "stages" packed away somewhere ready to break out when needed would be a major asset to me. I guess it's Ikea on Saturday.... ;-)

Sayonara

Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,

I'm with you there. A simple to build and modular Rack is a neat thing to have. I'm remineded again and again of the essentialness of such a thing with my constantly differing configurations of gear due to reviews. Having a few "stages" packed away somewhere ready to break out when needed would be a major asset to me. I guess it's Ikea on Saturday.... ;-)

Sayonara

The ikea table is a good starting point.
But I've worked in a place that builds furnitures for ikea, having seen how they are assembled, I prefer building mine myself from scratch ;) And for 6£, you can also do it yourself if you haven't to buy woodworking tools

I'm hesitating between 3feets or 4 feets configurations:scratch:

I prefer three feet.

It's much easier to get your equipment level and when using 3 feet the downforce on the ground is much higher per square cm thus better coupling.

Ralph

ps I now have 4 feet on my rack cause the design did not allow for 3 getting it all level is a b!tch though

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I did this many years ago and have a page all about building.

DIY - The Rack

Attachments

• audioroom500.jpg
    audioroom500.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 835
This is the idea that came to my mind this evening:

we want the stand to absorb the vibrations, and not to transmit them.
What could damp vibrations quasi perfectly? Something that can change its form, when it recieves a mechanical energy...

Sand!

Use 2 plates, the bottom one fixed to the floor, the audio stuff is placed on the second. Between the 2 plates is a layer of sand. The vibrations can't go from one to the other!

Here's a basic drawing I made with paint (!), tell me what you think about it

Attachments

• stand.gif
    stand.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 678
The brown parts are wood, the grey one is either glass or stone (granite, marble...)

The wood forms a kind of box, so that you can fill it with sand, place the glass plate on it, and have the glass plate at the same level that the exterior of the wood box

Now I still don't know how to design the feets:
they musn't touch the glass plate
they must be "locked", is you place a second stand over the forst one, the upper one don't have to be able to move

JasonL said:
it was a joke sorry. because if you bring it in the house you know and i know sand will out some where.

I knew it was a joke ;) but I still answeared seriously

Sand won't necessary leak. If the wood box is correctly made, this part won't be the problem.
And you need sand between the 2 parts, precisely under the glass
You don't need to have sand in the little vertical gap( this gap can also be made the smallest possible)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.