A DIY piece of furniture for your DIY HIFI stuff?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,

I'm with you there. A simple to build and modular Rack is a neat thing to have. I'm remineded again and again of the essentialness of such a thing with my constantly differing configurations of gear due to reviews. Having a few "stages" packed away somewhere ready to break out when needed would be a major asset to me. I guess it's Ikea on Saturday.... ;-)

Sayonara

Hi Kuei Yang Wang,

Are you still with me? ;)
It seems that no one is interested anymore in my small project, after having seen Peter's and Dave's :D

The reason for all the gushing about Dave and Peter is that your small project is not really "small." It has to do the same thing as a speaker enclosure, which is to not resonate. And that is a very difficult thing to achieve if the object must be small, strong and rigid enough to hold monster amps and marble turntables.

Early on, I could not download the pictures of the table KYW was referring to. A quick check on the Canadian Ikea site shows roughly what he is talking about. I personally would stay away from glass. Too resonant if you ask me. It is the reason why lasers can be used to read audio on the outside of office buildings. Even if you use Vibrapods between each layer and each glass sheet, you only provide the glass with more ability to resonate.

If you are truly interested in damping vibrations, stick with MDF or plywood. The composite matrix of each provides quite a bit of damping. It's why they work so well in speakers.

One thing to consider is to make a small trampoline for each shelf. Some strong fabric (maybe nylon cordura?) inside a square frame could provide good damping. I've never heard a cloth "ring" before.

More important to me than having modular stages is to have quick access to the cables and connections. Maybe the whole thing on a turntable would make exchanging components easier.

:)ensen.

A small trempolin?
The concept is interesting, but it would have to support a lot of weight

And you won't see clothes ringing, but not because they are simply made of fabric. But because they are made of fabric, fabric isn't a rigit material, and it's not streched.

If you strech it, and if your fabric is even a little elastic, you'll have oscillations

It is true that if you take one nylon thread and stretch it, you have a guitar string, but when you 10,000 threads in a simple cross pattern, you only need very little tension on each one (simplified, of course). That means the resonant frequency is very low, almost zero.

When you have threads being stretched in different amounts, then you have many different resonances and their interaction can create a damping effect. Maybe I should have compared it to a fishing net instead of a trampoline.

:)ensen.

Do all units want decoupling? Or do some benefit from decoupling, while some work better with coupling? With a modular system one could either have the possibility of shelves being either of the two but still compatible, or have all made for coupling and use secondary isolation shelves. But I guess the former is preferred, if the [decoupling|coupling] idea is right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.