Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2011, 01:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY "cable" esction

I'm wanting to make my own interconnects, maybe some power cords and another pair of speaker cables......why isn't there a "cables" section?

Until then maybe you can provide a link to your favorite cable build.....

OOPS.... section not "esction, haven't had my coffee yet!

Last edited by 503Timber; 30th May 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 30th May 2011, 05:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

IMHO there aren't two people on the planet who agree on cables. Most discussions of such quickly degenerate into a sport not unlike mud wrestling. Fun to watch, less fun to participate in. When I need a line cord, I just grab a standard IEC line cord off the rack. If two line cords sound different, I must have done a p*ss poor job of building the electronics. My favorite cable "build" is heavy zip cord for speakers and one of the low capacitance Belden shielded cables for everything else. I don't care if the cables contain magnetic materials or have any fancy Litz configuration, just so long as the basic R, L & C measurements suggest it could carry a signal from point A to point B. Cable parameters that only apply at RF frequencies... well, they only apply at RF frequencies.

Last edited by Conrad Hoffman; 30th May 2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 30th May 2011, 05:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah it can be a "touchy" subject....but so can solid state vs tube.....or Chevy vs Ford
Old 30th May 2011, 05:39 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Why not post it in the Parts section? Or Everything Else? Either strikes me as appropriate.
Old 30th May 2011, 05:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't agree that cable DIY has to be touchy, as long as people use it to describe actual construction of their cables and not debate performance. There will be some people who DIY with cheap repurposed cable and some people who use exotic stuff: so what? As long as the thread about construction techniques, sourcing cable, connectors, etc. it will be great.
Old 30th May 2011, 08:53 PM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Put cables with the religious stuff in the Lounge? Or have a new section of Esoterica, for cables, crystals etc. like some audio sites do?
Old 31st May 2011, 01:22 AM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Speaking strictly from a moderators point of view I am against it. Far too much work for what it's worth. Regardless of the intent, every cable thread on every forum I have ever seen turns ugly and doesn't recover.
Old 31st May 2011, 01:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Speaking strictly from a moderators point of view I am against it. Far too much work for what it's worth. Regardless of the intent, every cable thread on every forum I have ever seen turns ugly and doesn't recover.
To say "every cable thread" is a bit much I think we can agree. Most subjects covered in these forums have the "potential" to go sour. One comes to mind of late about Decware....turned into a bashing rather quick...... some people just don't agree and that's fine. I'm here to learn and some of the "heated" threads teach me the most. It's a broad enough subject with no more or less "opinions" than another. Heck....I'll moderate the darn thing.

Hide this!Advertise here!