Is it worth to use piezo tweeters for an ultra sound cleaner?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to make a small ultra sound cleaner with piezo tweeters. Can those piezo tweeters produce the frequency of 40KHz?

Attachments

• 103_3962.jpg
    103_3962.jpg
    890.5 KB · Views: 181
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
This is something I've wondered about too. One of my other hobbies is model railways, and cleaning up an etched brass loco kit is a bit of a pain. An ultrasonic cleaner would be a very useful tool, and though the small ones are pretty cheap, the price seems to rise exponentially as you get to a useful size.

I also have a couple of 43KHz piezo tweeters. How are you going to power them and generate the signal?

In my case i want to power them with two TDA2030 based amplifiers, as you can see on the photo on my first post. That should gave me about 40W. Also i have builded an preamp with NE5532. The generator is based on NE555, i have one with fixed frequency on 44KHz, and another one with variable frequency. The most important, i dont know if these piezo's can vibrate on 44KHz. Also the container is very important, i think with variable oscillator is better to try because I can look for a resonance frequency of the water container.
If you have a good sound card You can generate the 44KHz using software like Cool Edit.
BTW, i still dont know what is the desired shape of the signal of 44KHz for sono cleaners, if it should be sine, or square?

Last edited:
This is something I've wondered about too. One of my other hobbies is model railways, and cleaning up an etched brass loco kit is a bit of a pain. An ultrasonic cleaner would be a very useful tool, and though the small ones are pretty cheap, the price seems to rise exponentially as you get to a useful size.

I agree, the small one here in Poland you can buy for 70-100 Euro.
I want to build an water container: 320mm x 50mm x 120mm to clean LP's.

and though the small ones are pretty cheap, the price seems to rise exponentially as you get to a useful size.
Don't want to hijack the thread but this might be related to the thread. Since smaller size ultrasonic cleaners are easily available on ebay, what if we remove the small container and replace it with large one? Will that work efficiently ? I am also thinking of making LP cleaner out of it.
Thanks

Don't want to hijack the thread but this might be related to the thread. Since smaller size ultrasonic cleaners are easily available on ebay, what if we remove the small container and replace it with large one? Will that work efficiently ? I am also thinking of making LP cleaner out of it.
Thanks

Please feel free to "hijack" the thread. Every opinion is welcomed.

I have never tried something like that. But i think the placement of the transducers on a particular container is essencial, so i dont think that increasing the container will be effective. But maybe im wrong. At work i have several ultrasound cleaners, different sizes and its very difficult to remove the transducers, in some cases they are sticked on the bottom of the container with some special glue .

Thanks for the link, minimum order 25 peaces :)
I have already build a small cleaner with 7 piezo (4,2 KHz) and it works on the frequencies above 20 KHz, the shape of water container is round, and with 1cm of water it works ok, i have already cleaned some metal things.

I have never tried something like that. But i think the placement of the transducers on a particular container is essencial, so i dont think that increasing the container will be effective. But maybe im wrong. At work i have several ultrasound cleaners, different sizes and its very difficult to remove the transducers, in some cases they are sticked on the bottom of the container with some special glue .
I guess since they are high frequencies, 3 to 4 inches of extra distance from transducer (of Jewellery cleaner) will not be a problem. (just saw few Youtube videos where cleaning objects were put on any area of the container).

Maybe You are right, but with increased container you will need more water in it, and efficiency will be worst. Im curious what kind of container you want to use for cleaning the LP's?
This project with small piezo's its more for fun, I dont expect good results, but when ill be able to buy some real ultra sound transducers the power amps and oscillators im using now will stay.
I want to find some container where ill be able to clean one LP at a time, so it should be about 12 cm high, 32cm long, and abt 4-5cm wide.
Maybe i should go and visit some store for the stafs for the kitchen :)

Ultrasonic cleaner transducers run off high voltage sine wave.

Various Schematics and Diagrams

Thanks a lot, very useful informations. I wish that circuit was presented more clearly.
I though they are working at lower frequencies, like 32KHz-44KHz, even some of them works at 20KHz.
I was wondering if the piezo tweeter of 20KHz/150W could do the job???
I can buy them really cheap.

I had started research on this subject (but never followed through with it). At some point I made a note about choosing US frequency based on particle size of the dirt intended to be dislodged. The note says:

10um 64-75kHz
>25um 48-64kHz

I think I may have decided on 60kHz. You can judge the particle size from the pics here: Vinyl record grooves under electron microscope - Reckon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.