How much $ am I saving my wife? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2003, 04:37 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

your idealism is admirable, but...

it's neither unhealthy, nor dysfunctional. it's just the way things are. this is not cynicism: we get along with other people by NOT speaking our minds. trying to maintain a relationship using nothing but truth, forthrightness, and honesty is - dismaying though it may be to hear it - a fool's errand. that's why all relationships are WORK. it's not a picnic being married for 13+ years, i can tell you. but it's worth it.

so, if your SO asks you 'does this make me look fat?'

the correct answer, unequivocally, 100% of the time is: 'NO.'

/andrew

...i guess this has something to do with DIY audio. there, i mentioned audio so this post is still on topic
Old 15th August 2003, 05:42 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

we get along with other people by NOT speaking our minds.

I don't agree.

As for the rest of the post, I fail to see how it relates to my point from earlier, that if it makes you happy, doesn't harm your partner or send you bankrupt that you should have to seek permission from your partner to do something that pleases you, or sneak and connive to obtain it. That's obviously the sign of a healthy relationship.
Old 15th August 2003, 06:42 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default Caution - cynics crossing

I think it's rather hilarious that we are now arguing over how to argue with our significant others.

Drembo: Of course, you must be aware that that nothing either you or your wife do is saving any money. If it's an activity that doesn't earn money or place it into a financial security, it's not saving anything. Maybe you should explain yourself by saying that you are spending much less. One analogy for her is that you can go to many concerts to hear all the same music, but once. Spend the same money on DIY and listen to the music many times and any times.

:)ensen.
Old 16th August 2003, 12:59 AM   #34
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
No buts...anything else is ultimately self-deceipt.

If people want to live a lie, then that's up to them...

We're all different and I'm sure so are your partners...if you want a relationship to work then it's up to you to work on it, no lieing is going to help you in the long run.

Sure, if you're stinking rich and gorgeous looking they may stick around a little longer...does that make you happy?

Will you have a good relationship with your partner?

Don't fool yourself.

Cheers,

P.S." How much $ am I saving my wife???"
Shouldn't that read how much am I kidding myself?
Old 16th August 2003, 01:48 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Default how much am I kidding myself?

Thanks Frank.
Old 16th August 2003, 04:12 AM   #36
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by faustian bargin

it's neither unhealthy, nor dysfunctional. it's just the way things are. this is not cynicism: we get along with other people by NOT speaking our minds. trying to maintain a relationship using nothing but truth, forthrightness, and honesty is - dismaying though it may be to hear it - a fool's errand. that's why all relationships are WORK. it's not a picnic being married for 13+ years, i can tell you. but it's worth it.

so, if your SO asks you 'does this make me look fat?'

the correct answer, unequivocally, 100% of the time is: 'NO.'

/andrew

...i guess this has something to do with DIY audio. there, i mentioned audio so this post is still on topic

(edited for language by pm)

Luckly, that's not the way things are for most people.

If you married your knocked-up hi-school sweetheart when you didn't know anything about yourself or about her -- and after her first baby she turned into the stereotypical american-fatso-biatch and you are too weak and lazy to get out don't blame it on the system.
Old 16th August 2003, 07:11 AM   #37
diyAudio Moderator

As this is turning into a discussion on social anthropology, I am moving it into Everything Else

p.s. Grataku, could you mind your language please.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 16th August 2003, 06:15 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

What? You don't know about two of the main currents of Islam?

Anyways as you may have noticed I hardly stick my nose into diatribes anymore but in this case.. it is for personal reasons that I feel very strongly about the subject.

PS: who made the last post figure and the"quote" button soo big?
Old 16th August 2003, 06:22 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

wow, such piling-on. amazing how quickly things turn ugly.

*shrug* i'm not going to defend my views, even if they have been misinterpreted. have at it, if you like. seems i may have touched a nerve though. just one request: think hard before pronouncing judgements.

/andrew
Old 16th August 2003, 07:01 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Faustian,
mine was simply an hyperbole to illustrate nigthmare marriages that are, unfortunately, all too common. I am not saying that applies to you AT ALL.
However, the wife asking about the dress is her way of demanding a compliment and some attention. If it gets to that there is a problem.
Luckly, well sort of, I am the fatso in the family and my wife is slender as a race horse so she can put on whatever. I never ask her if the pants make me look fat though.

Hide this!Advertise here!