How much $ am I saving my wife?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been builing myself a new system, it's not completed yet but it's getting there. I have been making tube guitar amps for years but still have been using the same massive solid state reciever that I bought 25 years ago while in college. I decided it was time to upgrade, and I had been pondering what to buld next to keep myself busy. So, my system includes a bottlehead foreplay preamp with the anticipation upgrade and stepped attenuators. Also have upgraded the output caps with Hovelands. Right now I am building a pair of JE Labs 300B monoblocks as described at Angela.com and am using their part list which includes Rikens and Tantalums, blackgates, Angela polypropelene in oil filter caps, Alps pots, Angela power trannys and Hammond output transformers. The preamp and monoblocks are in polished aluminum and hardwood chassis of my own design and making. My speakers will be Hammer Dynamics super 12s in veneered mdf cabs. All tubes will be NOS except the 300Bs which will be some current production tubes other than Western Electric.
Can anyone give me an educated guess what a system like this would cost if I walked in to a store and bought similar components at retail price( not kits, but finished products). Help me convince my wife I am doing a good thing here.

*chuckle*

i can just hear it now: "Who is this Angela person?!"

It's really really hard to justify this stuff by using the cost savings argument. Not that you're not saving money...but think of it this way: say you found a good deal on a Lambourghini. Unless your wife is really into impractical sports cars, there's no way the argument 'I can't afford NOT to get it!' will fly.

I think I have my wife convinced that doing this hobby is something that makes me happy, and that's good enough for her.

Good luck.

Actually you could remind her of all the other unsavory things you could be spending money on instead of this wholesome hobby...

(I don't recommend that approach either, however.)

;)

/andrew

I am convinced the only successful approach, if you must have a S.O., is to find one that has the same hobby.

However, good luck; in 25 years, I have only encountered 3 women that claim audio as a hobby, 1 of those was a DIYer.

All three were already married :)

Hey, my wife even asks me "Who's Jocko?" :)

mlloyd1

faustian bargin said:
*chuckle*
I think I have my wife convinced that doing this hobby is something that makes me happy, and that's good enough for her.

/andrew

drembo

To be blunt and to the point, we are all under the false illusion that we can convence our spouses of anything. They only let us think we have convenced them.

They hold the money,power, sex, and everything else. I suggest that you get down on your hands and knees and beg for all that your worth that she let you continue your work/hobby. Be honest and tell her that you enjoy this fantastic electronic hobby far more than you do her company. Tell her that without this hobby you might just tend to stray and go hunting for something walking the streets.

At this point you will have several options... Tell her you were only kidding and would never stray. Tell her that you were wrong to ever want any type of hobby/interest.

Joe

Run man, just run

Strap whatever you can to your back and run.

JK, its not just S.O's. I decided to dig into the audio world this summer and it has eaten up my entire social life...

"Sorry guys I can't go out tonight, I'm assembling panels."

Like thats gonna get me any chicks. LOL. Oh well IMHO its all worth it. Unless it doesn't end up working. Then curse it.

-Wes

drembo said:
Can anyone give me an educated guess what a system like this would cost if I walked in to a store and bought similar components at retail price( not kits, but finished products). Help me convince my wife I am doing a good thing here.
Oh yeah. Just walk into a high-end store and find the big tube amp in the dominant soundroom and price it out. If you look hard enough, you should be able to find something in the $10K+ range without too much trouble.
People pay crazy amounts of money for this stuff. I guess if you have money left after the Hummer and the big plasma TV, you may as well spend it on filaments.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Can't you just say it's a "bloke thing", and a bit like shopping for clothes or shoes? On second thoughts, that might be too accurate. We accuse them of having loads of clothes/shoes they never wear - she might spot that you don't use every single component you buy...

It's a tricky one. I believe you chaps have a thing called the "5th Amendment". Perhaps you'd better stick to that and stay schtum for fear of incriminating yourself.

I think my wife's given up trying to find some rationale to my hobby. She keeps starting sentences with "But why do you need another..." or "Didn't you just build a...", but now she usually ends them with "Oh, right, we already discussed that, never mind". I think one approach that might work is to point out one of her irrational streaks (I'm sure she has at least one), and then tell her that your hobby is like that, it's your irrational streak.

Of course, if your wife's irrationalities don't involve spending money (which is the case with me), then you have a second hurdle to cross - after you've justified the time you spend on your hobby, you need to justify the money it takes. What we did is set a budget - I put a certain amount from every paycheck into a "toys" account, and I get to do what I want with that money, my wife does not protest. (I do cheat a little, of course). This helps keep the peace a little, and since it forces me to save up for things, it helps me plan my stuff better too. There have been several instances where I was saving up to buy/build something, and by the time I had the money, I'd changed my mind about what I wanted to do.

Hello drembo;

>>>...Help me convince my wife I am doing a good thing here...<<<

Why not just tell her you're learning a trade? What with all the outsourcing going on in the US these days, it'll seem like you're responsibly looking out for the family, learning how to make custom hifis to sell to the monied, rather than dumping money down a rat-hole. "Of course this one's just for practice. Honest, hon!"

Who knows? If the tech jobs keep leaving, you might have to actually follow through on that.

Good luck on your system and all the best,
Morse

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Yeah, the honest, direct approach is always the last thing I think of also, but it's true- if you just tell her that this is your "thing" and really important to you miracles can happen. Hell, I've still got my Basszillas in my living room. Sounds like you might have a DIY addiction though. Watch out for an "intervention"

I'm beginning to think we in the US are starting to benefit from the hard working liberated woman. IN FACT I'm beginning to suspect that the "man the worker" role was invented by society to get us out the door to a job. I mean let's face it, if you are a hunter in a "primitive" society, you get dressed up and have a party for good luck on the hunt- get high and dance all night. Then take off with the guys for a week long hunting trip. I'll bet a lot of the time they just hung out shooting the sh*t. Then they bag an animal and drag it home. Meanwhile the women are scraping hides, cooking, raising the children, etc.

I know about 5 guys whose wives make a lot more money than they did so they basically gave up and putter around fixing the house, doing their hobbies, playing in bands, painting landscapes, etc. Having a great time and their wives LOOVE them because they are so happy and fulfilled and not cranky like their friends husbands.

I'm not that lucky though, but I usually like my job

OK Frank, we don't get ironing, I have to cook, but she still does some cleaning and directs the housecleaner ;) and pulls in a decent income.

Yeah, the honest, direct approach is always the last thing I think of also, but it's true- if you just tell her that this is your "thing" and really important to you

That should be more than enough in any healthy relationship. If it's not, providing the spending on the hobby is not excessive, then you are in relationship with the wrong person. Or you've given too much of yourself away.

I am sooooo glad I'm single.

Brett
/ who's going to bring his Hemi into the living room to work on it in front of the stereo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.