Apollo Guidance System Schematics - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2011, 10:29 AM   #11
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies.

Pity that big bird ain't going to fly again. I guess if we are up to our *** in debt, the space program is the first thing to get axed.
Old 25th May 2011, 05:01 PM   #12
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Talking about Apollo,

Regards the did man go to the moon ideas,<<cross hairs behind an astronaut? LOL

Im not saying it did not happen just a talking point.

When man stepped onto the moon how did they get power to send TV pictures back to Earth. On earth at the same time BBC had huge transmitters linked to power stations and cameras that needed tripods and wheels just to get TV across the UK.

Regards
M. Gregg

Old 26th May 2011, 03:59 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

It is just simply amazing what was high tech and what was done with it back then, now belongs in the elementry school books of electronics of today.

It just goes to show what having a dream and the determination to get it done can do!

I found those links a while back and I read a report on the video systems camera design and how they had to design it to be low power in order to have enough battery power.

Which was difficult to do with the transistors of the day becuase they needed alot of bias current in order to stay in the linear region.

And the sweep circuits for the videcon tube used the most amount of power.

Trust me that stuff was for real other wise we wouldn't even be where we are today as far as space exploration goes!

But, I am so glad that they made all of those designs public before they got lost forever.
Just as I now can find all of the DEC PDP 11/70 and 11/34, 11/23 series stuff but I sure could Have used those prints 15 years ago before I parted out the 2 1/2 complete systems that I had.
All that is left now are the racks cabinets,a few boards and the power supply's.

I had 5 of those big 300MB removable drives and I still have the manuals to them ,Those suckers were some heavy Beasts.

It took every thing I could do to extract one magnet from one and I gave up on the other four.
That thing was so strong that it would hold a 3' chain of rachets and various tools hanging to the ground!

I also had the TE 16 tape deck and it was in working order until one day when we pulled it out of storage it did'nt work probaly from static,If I could have found the print as I do have it now I would have got it going again,but the weight was a bit much for just me to keep hauling around.
But it sure was pretty cool!
jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 26th May 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 26th May 2011, 04:21 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Neat links! I remember the Nike bases and sonic booms.
As a young man I lived about three miles from the Nike Missle base on Cougar Mountain near Issaquah Wa. Later when the base was de-comissioned, my buds and I rode our bikes up there and went down into underground facilties. Nothing left behind but erie memories. I doubt they even test launched from that site. No bonbers from over the pole.
Old 26th May 2011, 06:30 PM   #15
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
Just as I now can find all of the DEC PDP 11/70 and 11/34, 11/23 series stuff but I sure could Have used those prints 15 years ago before I parted out the 2 1/2 complete systems that I had.
jer
When I got outta da USN my 1st job was at a DEC plant in Westfield Mass. Because of my training and experience in the Navy they put me directly into Q.C. which meant I was making more than about 75% of the rest of the kids there. The plant was still being built as we worked and they would build one 250K Sq. ft. section and start moving stuff into it while they started the next section. The plant would up being 1M sq. ft. and employed a couple of thousand folks at it's peak. Then all of the bad management and stock holder decisions started to take their toll and one of the biggest and best computer companies began to slowly crumble into what is now a storage warehouse for a trucking company.

My brother Patrick made a living for years converting "old iron" VAX systems to modern versions of current computer networks. The biggest problem there was rewriting the old COBAL code - ugh - buuuut the pay was sweet!
Old 26th May 2011, 07:04 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

One of my best buds from high school had a PDP-8 in his basement.
Old 26th May 2011, 07:29 PM   #17
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Ahhhh - da old days. Get a cuppa java and grab a chair - power up and then clear and reset the registers by toggle switch's - load boot-strap via punched tape reader - load program off mag tape unit - sit back and watch the little lights go on and off....... Those were simpler times...
Old 26th May 2011, 09:06 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
Ahhhh - da old days. Get a cuppa java and grab a chair - power up and then .
Sounds more like CaData in Minneapolis ("minnesot-eze"), than DEC or DataGen!
Old 26th May 2011, 09:30 PM   #19
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Sounds more like CaData in Minneapolis ("minnesot-eze"), than DEC or DataGen!
All of the "mini" systems shared a lot in common as per the technology of the day - take mag tapes or data entry terminals for example - a little different from company to company - but not so much. What kept DEC going was their VAX communications systems.
Old 27th May 2011, 05:56 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

O'man Ilove talkin with you guys for off of tht recor d my buddy Phil was the one whom was travelin with the pack of the last three hover crafts and was the last one wheom got bluew up But he survived and is one of the smartest ones I know and even though it has been so many years i am not soppused to say any thing but it was his brother that was the one whom took care of all of those systemts through the 80's and was the first one to give me some of the prints to the DEC system it was such a grand time.
jer

Hide this!Advertise here!