My mediocre MM sys......pics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, it's dfinately not high end but I did not want to spend too much.
It all started out with me wanting to build simple 2-way speakers using a $20 amp for my new TV but, it kind of snowball a bit.

Anyway
It all consists of:
1) A couple of Polk M-30 speakers that were given to me and a Dayton sub-80 with a TB "W8-740P" driver
2) AudioSource "Amp 100" amp
3) Sony "XDR-F1HD" radio tuner
4) A cheap, Pyle CD player
5) A simple source selector switch.
6) A cheap, Chineese 6N11 tube heaphone amp that actually does not sound too bad through my cheap headphones and has a better overall sound (particularly in the lower freq) than the "Ramsey" amp that I recently assembled. Besides it looks good.
7) and........ a MP3 player.

Also, a couple of vintage EQs
The 7 band Technichs EQ (that I already had on hand) is wired between the source selector and the amp's input and is for EQing the speakers for acoustics and speaker placement which is obviously far from the best position for them.

The 5 band silver AudioSource EQ (EQ SIX) from the early '80s is only fed from the anilog TV's output into the source switch as the TV has some nasty freq bosts particularly in the 250 hz range either from the TV itself or, from my cable provider.
I didn't want to constantly change the main EQ settings evey time I switch to the TV as it's all very subtlely adjusted and sounds great for everything else.
Someone was/is selling a few new (NOS) of these for a fair price and it is just what I needed to comlpete my sys. Now the TV sounds great although, I did not try it with a DVD yet.

Attachments

• xMMSFTx1.jpg
    xMMSFTx1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 184
  • xMMSTPx2.jpg
    xMMSTPx2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 172
  • xMMStvx3.jpg
    xMMStvx3.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
It's actually a glass paperweight that was laying around that I just put on the switch.
It actually comes in handy to place on the MP3 cable when I disconect the player to prevent the cable from sliding back and out of sight.

BTW, I thought the sys is an interesting mix of low end and higher quality/vintage and new components for an inexpensive MM sys.

I had to turn the Polks upside down and angle them upwards so the tweeters were dispersing more at ear level when positioned next to the TV

Last edited:
I too assumed moving magnet. I didn't notice the lack of a turntable because I didn't look too closely at the pictures - I can't see much point in looking at pictures of other people's systems (especially "mediocre" ones!). I only clicked on the thread because I was intrigued by the title - most people want to show of pictures of their "amazing/high-end/expensive/cosmetic" system, so I wondered if the OP was a particularly humble person or just being ironic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.